Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Where would be your ideal CP growing location

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the low mountainous areas of Georgia would be great for me. My dad and grandmother were both born there and I have visited a few times. Much more scenic than here anyway.

Class 5 Nepenthes hoarder lance's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    40 minutes south to Santa Barbara haha. It might take some adapting, but some of the tough rough Neps would do just fine. Maybe even N. Lamii and those types of highland Sp. would be able to grow well during the abnormally cold winter nights.

In addition to growing plants, I design and build RC planes powered by Tesla batteries. Check out my progress at www.chargedplanes.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    SF Bay Area is a very suitable climate for many CPs. It's categorized as a mediterranean climate, and I've found that drosophyllums, cephs, african and pygmy dews, many pings, darlingtonias, and all US-native CPs grow very well outside. If you live close enough to the coast, every morning a dense fog rolls in over the mountains and you get a fairly high RH and cool nights, probably suitable for many HL neps. Similar to the folks in SB, we do occasionally get very hot, dry days as the weather carries in from the Central Valley, but they're rare and all my plants I grow outside are very tolerant of these climates.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The first plant orbiting Beta Librae I.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For neps I'd be amazed if there's a place better than the coast between San Francisco and LA (not counting Hawaii). Everywhere else it's either too hot in the summer or too cold in the winter.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My vote goes to Coastal NC, I am particularly fond of the Havelock, Newbern, Beaufort area. Its perfect for lowland nepenthes during the summer and you can grow nearly all temperate CPs outside year round. Intermediate Nepenthes and some highlanders can be grown as windowsill plants because of the naturally high humidity and for those pesky ultrahighlanders you can build a greenhouse or grow rack. Plus compared to California cost of living is very low.
    NCSU's Carnivore Nut
    Original President of the CCPS & Co-Founder
    Mason M.
    My Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hawaii, prefferably on the rainy side of one of the islands at about 1500 meters.

If I had to choose somewhere in the continental US, I'd say northern california or oregon, near the coast.
    Some days it just isn't worth chewing thru the restraints.

My growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...255#post961255

Video of my birth http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Xc5wIpUenQ

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Exo View Post
    Hawaii, prefferably on the rainy side of one of the islands at about 1500 meters.

If I had to choose somewhere in the continental US, I'd say northern california or oregon, near the coast.
    wild pigs in your backyard, rooting up everything.....

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast