What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Happy Mud Season!

• Thread starter NBLD
  • Start date
I love this time of year!!!:-D

I would post an amusing comic, but I'm not quite sure how.

Anyway, yay petrichor!!!

LOL! I had to Google this. It was a new term for me:

Petrichor (pron.: /ˈpɛtrɨkər/ or /ˈpɛtrɨkɔər/) is the scent of rain on dry earth. The word is constructed from Greek, petra, meaning stone + ichor, the fluid that flows in the veins of the gods in Greek mythology. It is defined as "the distinctive scent which accompanies the first rain after a long warm dry spell".[1]
The term was coined in 1964 by two Australian researchers, Bear and Thomas, for an article in the journal Nature.[2][3] In the article, the authors describe how the smell derives from an oil exuded by certain plants during dry periods, whereupon it is absorbed by clay-based soils and rocks. During rain, the oil is released into the air along with another compound, geosmin, a metabolic by-product of bacteria, which is emitted by wet soil, producing the distinctive scent; ozone may also be present if there is lightning.[4] In a follow-up paper, Bear and Thomas (1965) showed that the oil retards seed germination and early plant growth.[5] This would indicate that the plants exude the oil in order to safeguard what water there is for themselves.

Being in WNY, I can tell you that you are in for a good lot of rain for the next few days. I just collected 3 gallons of rainwater in plastic tubs, from yesterday's activities!

FWIW, Go Red Sox!

Sweet!!! I have to empty my bucket that's on the balcony today. It's full. :)

Petrichor is my favorite word! I love the way it sounds, looks visually and means.

GO SOX!!! :woot:

LOL! My favorite words are, 'chillax', 'groovinous', and 'kyewt'.

More rain a-coming...

Anybody but the Yankees, right? I've been a Red Sox & Celtics fab since I was a pre-teen... and I grew up on Lawn-guy-land.

Back