What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

jack daniel's distillery

Had the option to tour Jack Daniel's or Nissan plant. I've seen at least a half dozen car plants so chose the distillery....
Compared to other distillery's I toured it was a little cheesey... but still decent.

No pics were allowed inside any of the buildings outside the visitor's center and jack's original office
(iphone images)

Visitor entrance:
IMG_008101.jpg

They make their own charcoal out of sugar maple. The whiskey drips down a 10 foot tall column of the charcoal over several days.
IMG_008303.jpg

IMG_008404.jpg

All the whiskey since the 1860's has been made from this natural limestone spring's water
IMG_008606.jpg

Jack statue in front of spring:
IMG_009010.jpg

IMG_009212.jpg

Jack's safe:
Jack came in to work late one day, couldn't get the safe open and in his frustration he kicked the safe.
In doing so he broke a toe, which eventually set up infection...
His toe was amputated in an effort to stop the infection, then his foot, then his leg.
Eventually the infection continued to spread and he died as a result.
IMG_009111.jpg

The highest quality product is their "single barrel"
Most of what they sell is a mixture of various barrels to maintain a consistent product.
But a certain percentage of the barrels are truly special and sold as such.
A "Single barrel" barrel sells for 8,000-12,000$
You put down a down payment, come to the facility and taste three samples from single barrels from which you get your choice.
The single barrel product is lighter in color, smoother and with more vanilla nodes.

IMG_009414.jpg

IMG_009515.jpg

IMG_009616.jpg

The tour was a nice benefit after two long days of listening to subject matter experts talk about the needs of industry

David, this one stays sealed till you make it out this way old friend :beer:

Av

Last edited:
Has to be a typo.. $8000 to $12,000!?!?!? You must be the richest alcoholic of all time!

Learned a lot in this post. Thanks for the mini tour.. Very cool.

No typo, but I didn't buy a barrel, sheesh.... couple bottles was more than expensive enough :p

typically only one out of one hundred barrels are selected

I do like the engraved bottle though, nice touch.

Last edited:
i'll bring the ice and coke....

Ah.. That's for an entire barrel. I misread that was all.. My blunders.
The engraved bottle is definitely cool.

What a cool tour! Did they ever get the safe open? ;)

Booze!!! :awesome:

Nothing beats pure grain alcohol though... :lol:

Back