What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

This server is CRAP!!

adnedarn

I'm growing CPs in the Desert of Tucson, Az
Admin
....not really.

I just spoke to my server company to get the "stats" of my current server to make sure I was correct. Here is what I have and how you guys impacted it on this auction end.

-dedicated server (only I am on it and we share with no one)
-2.4ghz dual core operon processor
-4 gig ram

That stuff said, the issue we ran into was "max_user_connection" as far as the database errors.... on a "shared" server you are allowed an awesome 48 "hits" per second to the database. On this server since it is dedicated, we have 300 "hits" a second. That's right... You guys were hitting the server with 300 requests a second to trigger those errors. HAHA! no matter what server I get (at least at this company) that is the max you can have.

Server load! Take a look at the last hour of server load. :-))

server+2013+auction.jpg

Now that said, I was told a new server will be available around July that I can upgrade to for the same price... Not sure it will help since the "hits" to the server will still be a 300 limit... but when I upgrade to that I will have:
4 core i7 processor
12 gog ra,
and of course still dedicated.. again, not sure that will help in the future, but maybe if it doesn't slow down there won't be as many hits to the server and then saving us from hitting the max connections- but that's just a guess... even the server guy couldn't answer if it would actually prevent it- but it surely won't hurt. :D

Andrew

I guess politely vent your frustrations here.... ;) PS if anyone wants to upgrade me to the next server level... I will gladly take $30 a month from you to get us to the next level which would be a 6 core processor. :p

wowzers.. 300 hits a second? start calling you Mr. PopularForum

forget 30 a month, how much do you want for the site? :D illl pay cash

but seriously, how about having seperate sections/end times for the different genus of plants. would at least help the problem in a big way if only a fraction of the auctions are ending at one time

I am sure after everyone gets over their initial frustrations, they will remember what a great service this forum is for the community. And how much they really appreciate you making it available.

So I would like to say thank you. It was fun.

When I bought it many years ago I paid double digit thousands.... Make me an offer above that and you just might take it.

I'll start this auction!

$2

At least it didn't crash hard like the server did 3-4 years ago. We had to wait several days before the site was even up and running again.

Any way thanks again for hosting the auction once more.

Starting bid was 10k.... and plan on going higher from there to hit the reserve. :beer:

At least it didn't crash hard like the server did 3-4 years ago. We had to wait several days before the site was even up and running again.

Any way thanks again for hosting the auction once more.

heh- yeah when it killed hardware and we were lucky they even saved the data!

I must've forgotten a couple zeros.. I'm poor. No offense by that bid.

It was my fault for not specifying the details of this auction item. :p

I am sure after everyone gets over their initial frustrations, they will remember what a great service this forum is for the community. And how much they really appreciate you making it available.

So I would like to say thank you. It was fun.

I'm sure, I just wanted to make sure people understand this isn't some $19.99/month shared server or something... I know people enjoy it- I actually receive a decent amount of messages through the months of people thanking me for it. And I love every single one! It's why I bought the place in the first place and it's why I deal with it all the time. I love you guys ;)

Wow, thanks for this detailed postmortem, Andrew. I'm, as always, so grateful that you provide such a great space for the NASC to hold its auction. Apologies for temporarily collapsing the house; we hope the furniture isn't in disarray too badly.

Last edited:
Thank you Andrew for all you do for NASC and the CP community. We can't thank you enough. You provide an awesome service.

This was my second auction here and I've gotta say it's always been fun. I was out having a pint with some of my mates while the final crescendo occurred but just the same I'll be looking forward to next year's. Thanks to those who have given me a chance to participate.

Carnivorous plant enthusiasts are just too much for the internet to handle sometimes.

Hey,
I can help you with those issues. Let me know.

Eh, I decided what the heck.. why wait a few more months- just do it now! So if you notice any slowness right now, or a small hiccup it's probably because the server is in the process of having everything moved over to another one.... It should be pretty seamless except for minor things here and there... Well worth it I think.
Andrew

PS Tower: I told you I wrote them and got no reply... I wrote again a week later, and a few days after that finally got a reply that they didn't know how many connections were allowed, and my message was getting forwarded to a tech. ...still waiting, it's been a few days since I got that message. I don't know about them, I like that I can call my current server people and get a live person within 2 mins (never has been longer than that, usually right away) and get assistance if I need it. But thanks for the suggestion!

Back