What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Shortbus' Photo Thread

Thank you sir! South Americans are quickly becoming an interest of mine, sundews that is.:lol:

Cuttings in the oven. (aka an 8"x 8" glass mirror and some test tubes) 1-rotundifolia, 3-pretty rosette, 1-capensis narrow red, 1-admirabilis, 1-graomogolensis, 4-anglica kenaele, 4-capensis x spatulata, and 4-filiformis red.

Last edited:
Good luck with those cuttings, not that you will probably need it. I tried my hand at it last year just put a bunch of various sundew leaves in water and let it sit in my window and every cutting was successful.

So if you guys couldn't tell...I like to work a little with the CP collection every day. Keeps them fairly happy, though sometimes I wonder if I'm killing them with kindness, and keeps me very happy. Yesterday I made a little terrarium out of a pickle jar. I wanted something to live in there that would get some size, but not so big that it would fill the jar and goo up the sides with dew. My next consideration was weather or not I would have to baby-sit flower stalks to prevent volunteer seeding. In my current roster there were only two plants close to this description. 'Albino' x aliciae and capensis x spatulata from what I understand, which most days is little, are in-fertile hybrids and will not spread by seed. That will be a big help with avoiding volunteers for a while anyway. Both of these hybrids develop fairly large root systems with emphasis on the 'Albino' x aliciae having a pretty beastly root system. Anyhow, I ended up settling on the 'Albino' x because it seems to get just a smidge bigger in my collection. I will probably regret this selection in a year or two as I suspect with the clear jar and them crazy roots that plantlets will start from the roots in short order. Being a bit of room left, and my need to mix and match genra and species, I surrounded the remaining medium with U. sandersonii which has been spreading very quicky for me in it's primary pot. The pics are bad, but you get the idea.

I looks quite a bit prettier IRL without my bad camera operating skills junky equipment smudging it up. The plant I used was small above the soil line but had a very developed root system with multiple apical meristems. Should have gotten pics, but when I zone on something there is no time for photo ops lol. Thanks for looking, ideas and critiques welcome! :)

Wow that looks really nice. I hope it turns out well for you. I found at huge glass jar a my grandma's house that I wanted to do this with but I never got around to it.

I tried something similar when I first started out with the CP's. I believe in the same jar even. That time I failed because I used pure peat and I didn't know to even rinse peat at the time. Moss and algae grew with in days and choked out my first attempt at it. I have had alot of luck lately with LFS as a top dressing mostly, but also as a complete planting medium. The source for my LFS is not pristine, but pretty darn good for inexpensive bricks of LFS. From my source it does tend to grow some algae, but it takes quite alot longer than the peat does at any rate. That should buy the bladderwort and the sundew enough time to shade the surface. I may have to figure out a way to black-out the root zone soon though.

'Albino' x aliciae the beast itself being repotted.

The roots on this thing are like tree branches.

Think I will giveaway half a dozen or so when the next round of strikes puts on a bit more size. Let me know if anybody is interested in this idea...I will slow down on the cuttings if I can't find homes for a few of these. I just threw away a bag full of leaves when I repotted the thing in the pic above. I got to thinking after wards I should have filled in some space with them in the mini bog. Them leaves strike very fast.

Time for an update on the N. x 'Miranda' that was happily munching bugs when we last saw it. My first upper is coming along nicely. I suppose it's not quite completely upper, but it's so different that I think we are headed in that direction.

The night or two after the bug munching incident it got a bit too cold for my little monster and the leaves look like dog poo, but I think the temp shock may have produced an inadvertant side effect:

I could't get that growth point to hold still for a pic to save my life. This was like my 20th attempt before I gave up.

Last edited:
My greenhouse threw-up all over this rack.

Update:

Drosera filiformis, 'Tamlin', and Pinguicula primuliflora

Drosera anglica, 'Pretty Rosette', and nidiformis

Drosera graomogolensis, admirabilis, madagascariensis, and spiralis

Drosera hamiltonii, aliciae, spiralis, and capensis x spatulata

Drosera madagascariensis continues it's ascent.

Drosera graomogolensis pushing through a little transplant shock. (Thanks again mass!)

Drosera indica? The scented pink/purple flowered form. (Thanks again SDCP's!)

You guys and all your cool terrarium set-ups have inspired this. It's a 10 gal. tank being stocked with some drooling sundews.

:bigthumpup:dewtastic

looking good shorty!

I made this sweet little 10 gal. swamp a few weeks ago and over the last couple of weeks have crammed dozens of plants in there.

The new reniformis.

Wow, that's cool! Utrics seem to be loving that thing, already see some flowers in there. What inch pot is your reni in?

4" pot is what it came in. I popped the thing out of the pot to check my options when it came. There was alot going on, but it seemed like space for another growing season. I top dressed with an inch of live sphagnum after I exposed a couple of good sized tubers from a good watering. They were maybe the diameter of a pencil and didn't look like they had seen alot of direct exposure. It's definitely just waking up and not quite sure exactly how wet to keep it. Hopefully wet enough to keep sphagnum alive during its growing season lol.

my one tiny shelf of CP's has turned into two not so tiny shelves.

The sun was shining nicely behind these weeds and inspired a few pics. This is the view from the lagoon as if you were standing in it and only 6" tall.

Making an appearance there are: Utricularia sandersonii, U. bisquamata, Drosera anglica, D. spatulata, D. tokaiensis among others.

Last edited:
So I made this 34qt. tote bog today. More grow space for me, like I need it lol.

An update on the 10 gal. terra.

Back