What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tap Water

I just have a quick question. The adapter that I use for my ro filter just needed to sorta not work. It works technically but it's too loose so it sprays water everywhere. I need to buy a new adapter but in the meantime can I temporarily water my plants with tap water...just my super market opens so I can buy some DI water until I get my adapter. Or better yet...anybody know how to tighten a two way switch adapter?

You can temporarily. Afterwards I would recommending flushing (flooding and draining) your plants for best results.

what plants are you walking about watering? and how "bad" is your tap water as far as minera content?

my tap water is bad. About 150 ppm or so but at the moment I have no choice until i am able to go to a store in the morning.

they'll be fine with tap water until you fix your RO.

Ok that is good because I been growing since around sept of last year and don't want it to go to waste because of a faulty adapter.

How long will it take to get it fixed? As long as the mix remains moist, you might be better to forgo watering until it's fixed.

Your tap water is a lot better then some people I know lol. Just make sure you keep the soil moist and make sure it doesn't dry out or the minerals will solidify.

JUst flush it out after. zthat is what i do, when i run out of water, even though here, it is 450pppm.

Your tap water is a lot better then some people I know lol. Just make sure you keep the soil moist and make sure it doesn't dry out or the minerals will solidify.

I know my tap water is bad because I have grown cps at one point with them and they died...and they didn't even die right away. It was a very slow process. I have already bought a few gallons of distilled water from my supermarket and I just ordered a 150 gpd ro filter...the one I have currently is a 50 gpd....reallly slow going to give it to a friend. One time I noticed about distilled water nowadays in supermarket is that the store brand is .20 cents cheaper and the name brand is .20 cents more expensive....

Advice: Don't use tap on your plants for more than a couple weeks. However, if you can completely evaporate a potful of it (preferably by boiling it) and you don't see white residue at the bottom of the pot, MAYBE you can use it for longer. Letting it sit also might help some of the harmful chlorine to evaporate, but carnivorous plants are far pickier about water purity than fish. (I think the leave-your-water-out-for-a-day-and-you-can-use-it procedure came from the fish industry, but carnivorous plants are not fish.)

Back