What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

EU bans Bayer (imidacloprid)

think it says on the bottles not to use on any plant in bloom,most people ignore that though,i always thought they should of said why it should not be used on plants in bloom,then again its systemic so can stay in the plants system ,banning is the safest option,no bees and we all die of starvation in a few years they reckon

I saw this one coming. Directions usually say to spray in the early morning or evening - when bees are not active.

interesting NAN i thought that was so it did not evaporate or burn the leaves

if past is prologue, the US won't be banning it anytime soon . EU's standards for chemical safety are vastly different from ours.

When it gets listed in PAN Canada and states like California, New York and (I think Hawaii) that follow PAN (Pesticide Action Network) will ban its use.

IMHO, if the EU bee population shows improvement one year after the ban, in five years you wont find it anywhere outside of 3rd world countries.

Be like trying to find DDT and no matter how much us indoor Cp growers might love it usefulness, rightfully so

Last edited:
Wont be long. writing is on the wall. I think patent expired so it is in so many different pesticide formulations. It is being overused. It is becoming the primary go to pesticide and this will encourage insects to develop resistance as well.... I suspect it will be like what we saw with Diazanon and Dursban about 10 years ago.....

I guess we'll need to start hoarding soon. I've found imidacloprid to be an excellent and effective treatment for most pests, although I only use it indoors (well ventilated, of course) and never on the bog plants. I recommend getting yours if an impending ban is on the horizon.

i'm an organic granola chomping hippie. i dont use any of that stuff anyway (probably why all my plants are infested with caterpillars and these things).

I guess I should have stressed that I only use it if there's on obvious outbreak. It's better to let your plants become colonized by predatory insects that control pests than to give the phloem-suckers the upper hand.

i'm an organic granola chomping hippie. i dont use any of that stuff anyway (probably why all my plants are infested with caterpillars and these things).

I wish I never clicked that link! :0o:

I wish I never clicked that link! :0o:

If Pebes does have those giant ocean-dwelling isopods (as in the photo), I would love to see the growing area!

Would be bummed to see the Bayer get banned. I very rarely use anything on my orchids or other plants, but once in a while get a stubborn pest that requires some firepower.

Back