What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ads

• Thread starter Firerock
  • Start date
Why are we getting bombarded with more and more ads in the posts. Kick out the spammers Good!! But keep the Ads. Don't get it.

Regards ???

Agreed. The ads in posts are intrusive in that they occupy far more of the page real estate than necessary. My question is: can we pay to have these disappear? Because I am not interested in participating in an environment that won't permit exclusion of obnoxious, intrusive ads.

The ads and ad clicks are what help keep forums like this one free to use. If you really can't stand them use Adblock Plus, problem solved. I use it and don't see any, anywhere on the internet. However, I have Adblock shut off on forums, reddit, and other sites where the ad clicks help keep sites I use free, so you might want to consider just overlooking them because they help you not have to pay to use this site.

The ads and ad clicks are what help keep forums like this one free to use. If you really can't stand them use Adblock Plus, problem solved. I use it and don't see any, anywhere on the internet. However, I have Adblock shut off on forums, reddit, and other sites where the ad clicks help keep sites I use free, so you might want to consider just overlooking them because they help you not have to pay to use this site.

On iOS devices, AdBlock is not available, and it is there that the ads are most intrusive. I would rather pay for the service than suffer through the intrusive advertising. Its the new ads embedded in posts I find particularly obnoxious, not the minimal banner ads.

Alot of forums, will offer no ads if you purchase there VIP. I am not sure if "Green" membership does that.

Alot of forums, will offer no ads if you purchase there VIP. I am not sure if "Green" membership does that.

That is pretty much the question I am asking, yes. Waiting for admin to reply :)

im green and they are still there :/

On iOS devices, AdBlock is not available, and it is there that the ads are most intrusive. I would rather pay for the service than suffer through the intrusive advertising. Its the new ads embedded in posts I find particularly obnoxious, not the minimal banner ads.

Ah, I see the one's you are talking about if you use the "full site", but there is nothing if you use mobile site, you could switch to using that in the mean time? I guess the green membership can't help get rid of them.

Spammers don't pay, ads do. The ad in the top post is a testing thing and the time to see if it's even worth it is almost here. I may be able to look into making the thank you membership include a feature of no ads, but the cost of the thank you membership basically covers the use of HDD and bandwidth for the extra features... but I will definitely look into it.
Thanks for the input.
Andrew

Every 2nd to 4th post on every page including my posts have ads in them now, on the right side. Bin here since 2005, and probably will not stick around if they continue. Very annoying!!!

Regards :angry:

Should be top post and bottom post- not every 2-4 posts, unless there are only that few posts on the page.

Sad thing is, even with these ads, I'm still not utilizing even close to how many I'm "allowed". Like I said, this is a test, hang in there... not all will remain, but to get correct numbers they must run side by side... I've always done this, change ads in pairs, to see what works then narrow it down- I've even done it before in this same configuration but before some things changed with how google paid- I did not get any complaints that time though.

Andrew :-D

Last post ad has been removed.

I'm curious.... What price would you all find fair to remove all the ads (except anything to do with TerraForums and flytrapshop of course, like the calendar banner.. and links to flytrapshop etc. Basically the google ads.) ?

Andrew,

I know that the proceeds from these ads go to you, and you totally deserve it, but they are a bit annoying. I don't think I would mind them if they were not in the posts, but I don't really like the way they are laid out now.

On a totally unrelated matter--whenever I try to login I get this:
ScreenShot2013-05-10at90416PM_zps36b6ae34.png

I am logged in on just press on the home logo to get in, but it might be an issue for others.
BTW im on safari 6.0.2

Biozest, please try again and PM me if it is still messing up. Thanks!

Also, what URL are you using to login from? (if still a problem)

What ads :lol: no, I don't block them, I've just learned to ignore them to the point that I actually had to go and look for them. Ah ha, now I can see them. Must come from years of using sites with ads and learning to "not see' them. We must all just learn to focus on the posts and pay no attention to that little ad behind the curtain.

So the ads in the thread were the only ones being complained about here? I realize two was too much but had to do the test, the top way out preformed the bottom and to be honest we need one somewhere to make up for forum costs at this point (new server upgrade :-\) I'll try it with that ad set to only unregistered/not logged in people and see how it goes...

I'd still like to hear opinions on ad-free though... a per month/3 month/6 month/yearly whatever plan you guys would like to see and what you think is fair...

Thanks,
Andrew

haha chibae I barely see them too... It's funny when people tell me about an inappropriate one that's "always up" cause then i have to try really hard to catch it so I can block it from rotation...

Andrew

Hey Boss..what click through rate do you need on the banners to make it affordable for you to cut out the ones in the posts? Maybe we can sign up to do monthly click marathons to help keep pay for the site.

the only ones that bug me in the slightest are those in the threads that alter the posts. you can throw ads at the top all ya want!

On a totally unrelated matter--whenever I try to login I get this:
ScreenShot2013-05-10at90416PM_zps36b6ae34.png

I am logged in on just press on the home logo to get in, but it might be an issue for others.
BTW im on safari 6.0.2

This seems to be a problem on google chrome where you have to type in the www for TF to work. This might be a similar issue.

Back