What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sunshine Professional Grade Peat

Brie

Sarracenia freak
Has anyone seen this stuff? Its pretty awesome. Theres 4 different grades, all of them MUCH better then standard peat. I was able to pick up a bale from a friend, but it seems to be kind of hard to come by. If you're lucky, you may be able to get a hydroponics or garden shop to special order it for you, but its apparently not available normally to the public...

I picked up a bale of the "blue grade", which is the most "coarse".. Meaning its the fluffiest and least processed. It basically feels like milled pure sphagnum, pretty awesome. Anyway, I have a feeling alot of plants would really enjoy this stuff over standard peat. South American dews, Helis, plants that like a more open media and like growing in LFS. You can also apparently let plants go much longer before repotting, due to the fact that its not nearly as broken down as standard peat.

http://sungro.com/products_displayProduct.php?product_id=36&brand_id=4

8808979971_c720570db4_b.jpg

You can tell just by looking at it that it would be much less anoxic when wet than the standard, powdery peat available to the general public.

I wouldnt call this "peat" at all..it's really sphagnum moss..
peat is decomposed sphagnum..by definition, peat is "fine and powdery"..that's what peat is..
it's fully broken down sphagnum..

IMO, this is not peat..its sphagnum..
so IMO this really isnt a "better grade of peat"..because it isnt peat at all! ;)

IMO, calling it "Professional Grade Peat " is simply a marketing ploy, to get people to
buy a product that seems "better" than "unprofessional grade peat"..(which does not really exist)

Im sure its an excellent product! and its probably great for CP's..
im not arguing that point..Im just saying it probably shouldn't be considered peat at all..

thoughts?
Scot

It is a truly great product but it is in reality it's just milled lfs. Wish I had an outlet for it here.....save me the trouble of milling it myself.

now the real question, is it cheaper than most milled sphagnum?

As Scott has pointed out, that can't be peat moss. "Peat" technically is any decomposed plant material, but even with that broader definition, that is not "peat." It's just Sphagnum that's partially decomposed, but not as much as peat. Although, it still looks like it'll work great for plants! And that's all that matters.

I wouldnt call this "peat" at all..it's really sphagnum moss..
peat is decomposed sphagnum..by definition, peat is "fine and powdery"..that's what peat is..
it's fully broken down sphagnum..

IMO, this is not peat..its sphagnum..
so IMO this really isnt a "better grade of peat"..because it isnt peat at all! ;)

IMO, calling it "Professional Grade Peat " is simply a marketing ploy, to get people to
buy a product that seems "better" than "unprofessional grade peat"..(which does not really exist)

Im sure its an excellent product! and its probably great for CP's..
im not arguing that point..Im just saying it probably shouldn't be considered peat at all..

thoughts?
Scot

By your own definition, maybe. There is nothing in literature that says peat is by definition powdery. In fact, peat classification is as follows: fibric, hemic, and sapric peats. In order by definition: fibrous and least decomposed, partially decomposed, and mostly decomposed.

Sphagnum moss is a living bryophyte, or at least desiccated but having not undergone any decomposition. Also, sphagnum moss is not the only decomposed organic matter that constitutes peat, as some peats contain no decomposed sphagnum at all.

well whatever.. it looks like peat moss to me! i'm gonna try to find some now. thanks brie :)

so its milled sphag that is starting to decompose. yeah, i think ill stick to the milled sphag lol

so its milled sphag that is starting to decompose. yeah, i think ill stick to the milled sphag lol

If sold as milled sphagnum, they would be misleading the customer.

Back