What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Show off your 50mm vintage lens pics

Lets start with vintage 50mm's since they are likely the most common...
(58mm Helios included)

Please include image/equipment details... and any subject matter, post as many as you wish.

It's spring so let the fun begin!

How old is vintage? Does it have to be 50mm? My antique Pentax has several to choose from, but no 50mm. Maybe the zoom....

Where are your starter pics? :p

Hey Katie....

I would think vintage would be anything 10 yr old or more....
The whole purpose of the thread was to get people to dust off those old lenses and show us what they can do...

Get that old dusty pentax out and post some pics woman :)

Yeah, I got to get out and get busy I know.... no time today, hopefully this week... I want to get some new ones for the thread :)

Hopefully several will come out and play, we have some really gifted photographers

my minolta kit lens is 30 years old........ spooky

picssssssss, and not just of the lens but pics using the lens :p

I don't have any scans, but after next paycheck I'll see if I can find some film. Filling it up has never been a problem for me. ;) I have a number of favorite haunts I can have fun at.

In the meantime, I'll be back after dinner with some not too vintage shots of my equipment. :D

It doesn't get much more "vintage" than a pinhole lens!
8842212927_8bd64ce3f1_b.jpg

Here we go. Pentax K1000, at least as old as I am, it was bought used when I was born.
:angel:

Mom only had the short lens and the smaller zoom. I bought the rest. I still want a macro for it. (Hint hint: it takes Pentax K mount! :D)

660C9057-9488-46A7-B622-57422FAB9920-8627-0000070DCAF53EEA_zps59e2a6a1.jpg

Av, you didn't say HOW you wanted me to use the lens. :lol:
I thought of this while contemplating the cost of a lens reversal mount. Here are some iPhotos taken *ahem* through the 52mm. WithOUT the camera body attached.

My wool rug:

897DCA77-D4EC-45C5-9713-FB9307027CB6-8627-0000070DE8B927A4_zpsc82d1273.jpg

This one came out funny. Jewel orchid flowers:

96721A5C-6CA6-461B-8FF1-ED2CA9BD1666-8627-0000070E227949F7_zpsc8b4473d.jpg

Utricularia longifolia:

ED86F568-5D74-469E-8EF6-F4F128DE1E58-8627-0000070E0B5698F4_zps1fe18754.jpg

Nepenthes mikeii and a cool volcanic concretion:

E1DDD12E-E1FC-4157-ADE1-82E49502D221-8627-0000070DFF96CA3B_zps5425c69a.jpg

Sorry they're fuzzy. YOU try hand holding a lens in one hand and an iPhone in the other, and take the shot without dropping the phone into the terrarium's water reservoir. ;)

Wow, Whim! I used to have a pinhole "mount" for the Pentax, but I peeled it off the front of the camera, wantin to put a lens back on it. ;) I didn't have the patience to make it work. I should try again some day.

Last edited:
Awesome thread! Where are your pics at Av? :crazy: The Helios is an excellent lens. I need to break mine back out again.

Here are a few I took this morning with a Yashica 50mm DSB f1.9. A quick search on ebay found several for under $20.00. A cheapie, but decent lens.

I waited a bit too long and it was almost too bright out to get decent shots.

Come on guys, post some more pictures! :).

Last edited:
My wife and I are the middle of an odd photography stage..
We met because of, and at, Kodak..we were both research technicians just before the big boom in digital
that ended up killing the company!
(Kodak isnt completely dead yet..but its on life support)

I was a photography major in college, graduated in 1992, We met in '95, and were both shooting film with 35MM SLR's..
I had a beloved Canon Elan II (and some older SLR's) and Deb was using an Olympus OM-1n..

For 17 years we had access to free film, and free processing! :)
it was pretty sweet..(it was simply an employee perk that lots of people had, if you worked in the right area..)
Until last year, when I was finally laid off..(Deb was laid off ages ago..)
I first started shooting digital in 2001, and we used both digital and film for most of the 2000's..
We went "all digital" maybe 4 years ago..
We still have some film in the freezer, but we probably wont use it..
Now that we no longer have access to free printing, we arent bothering to have prints made anymore..
Last year, after I was laid off, we tried all the local pharmacies, and mail-order..No one can do decent print quality anymore!
pretty much everyone sucks..So we haven't had a print made in over a year, and aren't going to have any made for the foreseeable future.

We did photo albums for the longest time, but now im going to start making "digital albums" that we can
watch on the computer or TV..(if anyone has any suggestions for good programs for making albums or "slideshows"..I would like to hear about it!)

About a year ago Deb went to a friends bridal shower for the day, and took our main camera..
I also wanted to go and shoot some railroad photos that day, but I couldnt find a battery for a "backup" digital camera..
So I dragged out the vintage Canon A1! :)
Here is the last photo I shot with film..will probably be the last for awhile:

BH5.jpg

Scot

My wife and I are the middle of an odd photography stage..
We met because of, and at, Kodak..we were both research technicians just before the big boom in digital
that ended up killing the company!
(Kodak isnt completely dead yet..but its on life support)
Scot

I have such mixed feelings about the loss of Kodak and 99% of the silver gelatin/film technology. On one hand I think digital imaging has brought us many great things (freeing us up from darkrooms and the toxic chemistry that was requisite as part of the process is a good thing, mostly) but it should also be noted that digital media has one massive Achilles Heel: impermanence. I don't know how many of you realize what will happen the next time we have a coronal mass ejection event like the Carrington Event of 1859, but it won't be pretty. Essentially, the next time it happens (when, not if. Ice cores have revealed that events of this magnitude happen approximately every 500 years.), our digital storage media will be wiped clean and our culture's "digital history" will vanish. This isn't some doomsday nonsense, this is a very real threat.

So, I will persist in participating in more "traditional" image-making technologies that end in some form of archival, "permanent" prints. This is why pinhole cameras, with their simplistic technology, appeal to me; I can process a roll of film in my kitchen sink and scan the resulting negs, feed them through photoshop and send a print to my Pixma Pro-1, resulting in a luminous, long-lasting print that will not be the least bit bothered by the next solar flare event. Sure, I still rely on my computer to digitize the image, but the starting point and the end point exist outside of the digital workflow, and I like that.

Read Christopher James' excellent essay Update from Pictureville, which touches on this subject.

PS: apologies to the OP for not paying attention to the topic title: my contribution doesn't meet the requirements! Oops.

Whim,
interesting theory about solar storms wiping out CD's!
I had never heard that before..so I went googling about..
The theory has mixed reviews, but im inclined to put it firmly in the "urban legend/myth/not really a problem" category..

http://photo.net/digital-camera-forum/00Z9Zi

Of course, lots of digital media will not be archival! for many reasons that have nothing to do with the sun..
Hard drives die, and CD's and DVD's as long-term storage is still too new to have any definate answers..

For now, keep multiple backups of everything, and im planning to burn new CD's of important photos every 10 years or so..
to whatever the "latest and greatest" media of that particular decade happens to be..

Scot

Nice pics everyone,
I'm dealing with a migraine today so I've not been able to get out much, but did manage get one quickie.

44m-7a.jpg

No post processing other than a crop and resize.

Canon T3i w/ 1990's Russian Helios 44M-7 58mm f/2.0
(last model of the 44M series, and one of mine that I haven't used much yet)
Usually about 50-75USD on ebay.

I'll try to get some more later :)

Last edited:
Is that from that lens you had me fetch for you? Fun thread BTW, worth breaking my vow of lurkiness.
~Joe

hey joe, good to see ya!
Nope, this one I got from mother Russia...

what you got for me was an extension tube :)

I got out tonight and took some more pics, much more favorable lighting, and brain working much better too :)

Another lens of mine that needs more use is my 1980's Yashica ML 50mm f/1.7
A very inexpensive lens on eBay, I've seen it as low as $20USD... considered a real steal for the price.

yaz1_7a.jpg

yaz1_7b.jpg

yaz1_7c.jpg

yaz1_7d.jpg

yaz1_7e.jpg

yaz1_7f.jpg

Dust those 50mm's off and come on in, the water is fine :)

Av, do any of these great lenses of yours come with a compatible mount for my camera?

Back