What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Plant of the Month June 2013

Vote for the top 3 best!!

• RL7836 - U. humboldtii

Votes: 6 26.1%
  • mass - U. nelumbifolia

Votes: 3 13.0%
  • ace209 - D.roseana

Votes: 2 8.7%
  • Av8tor1 - S. 'Leah Wilkerson'

Votes: 12 52.2%
  • kulamauiman - S. purp. purp. x purp. venosa

Votes: 4 17.4%
  • Whimgrinder - N. briggsiana

Votes: 11 47.8%
  • Crissytal - U. alpina

Votes: 4 17.4%
  • mcmcnair - H. sp. Angasima

Votes: 7 30.4%
  • Api - S. flava var. maxima

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Maiden - C. follicularis

Votes: 6 26.1%
  • maxima - Dros. lusitanicum

Votes: 3 13.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

thez_yo

instigator
1. Only ONE (1) Plant per member may be entered in any particular month. This means one Nep vine, one Sarr Rhizome, one pygmy dew etc.
2. All pictures must be taken in the month of entry into the contest.
3. All entries must be clearly identified.
4. Entries are restricted to cultivated plants.
5. Contestants may post as many times and as many pictures of their entry as they like until contest closing on 06/30/13
6. Sequential pictures showing opening of a pitcher, unfurling of a leaf etc. are fine as long as all pictures are taken within the month of the contest.
7. If, for some reason, a single pitcher/plant/whatnot cannot be isolated and a group shot is necessary, then the particular pitcher/plant/whatnot entered must be clearly identified in your post.
8. Plant must have been grown by owner at least six months prior to photo, or sprouted from seed by the owner.
9. I didn't like this rule. You can keep entering the same thing month after month and if people still like it without getting sick of it, so be it.
10. Times of Contest and Poll openings and closings are to be understood as EST.
11. Judging by forum members and guests in a poll opening on 07/01/13, closing 07/05/13 and using this forum in this thread! Voting will appear at the top of the thread at the close of the contest entries.

** Please remember to clearly identify your entry!!**

Contest will be closed on June 30th 2013 at 5:00PM EST

Good Luck!

Looks like I'll start the parade :-D

U. humboldtii - this species has not wanted to flower for me in the basement under lights, so last year I took one of the clones (SG from this giveaway in 2008) and stuck it on the east-facing windowsill in my office. As a gift to me, it apparently liked something about the new location and decided to flower. The first stalk was a month or so ago and this pic is from the 2nd stalk - as of today.

This is another of the utrics in section Orchidioides - but it was originally in section Iperua before the two were combined. Although it will grow on wet ground, it likes to grow in the water-filled urns of bromeliads. It's leaves are very interesting as they are shaped like paddles - one of my clones has leaves ~18-20" tall & 3" wide - & I suspect that they get even larger.

For those getting sick of the onslaught of utric flowers, this will probably be it for some time ..... ???

Since utrics seem to always win this shindig.. I decided to drag my U. nelumbifolia out of the GH for a few pics.

Last edited:
Cool flower mass, very nice

Cool flower mass, very nice

thank you.. the 3rd flower is nearly done forming now.
And there's also a 2nd flower stalk coming up now too.

beautiful utrics, thanks for sharing

D.roseana the one furthest to the top left
I wish i had a better camera oh well i guess this will have to do.

IMG_20130612_164343 by ace209er, on Flickr

Last edited:
Just a little mid-month update. 3 and a half flowers open, 6 more to go..

Darn you, rule number eight!!!!!!!

and now for something completely different, the larch.... errr leah
leah.jpg

leah2.jpg

Photos taken a few mins ago
Canon T3i w/ 50mm f/1.8

Last edited:
S. purpurea purpurea x purpurea venosa
null-35.jpg

Lovely plant, Butch! It looks so much like my own Sarracenia.

The larch.

and now for something completely different, the larch.... errr leah
leah.jpg

leah2.jpg

Photos taken a few mins ago
Canon T3i w/ 50mm f/1.8

Love the picture mate. Great plant and beautiful photo.

Nepenthes Briggsiana, from Leilani.
_DSC0814.jpg

_DSC0828.jpg

_DSC0816.jpg

And a pic from a few minutes ago, with my hand to demonstrate scale:
20130619-080421.jpg

My turn to post an Utric flower :).

U. alpina, sadly it was supposed to be my remaining U. asplundii division. I'm not sure if the tags got mixed up or if the alpina pot jumped. Either way, the flower is still pretty.

[Edit]

Last edited:
That's some sexy backlighting mcmcnair. That heli has curves in all the right places.

Back