What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

what do you guys do when plants get too tall?

I have a 55 gallon terrarium tipped over on its side a couple of its inhabitants are hitting the top. What would you guys do in this scenario? i can always put the tank back upright and gain another 8'' or so but that would mean i have to down size :(

-Travis

HTML:
Could you specify exactly which plants are growing too tall? I expect some of your Sarracenia, but is that it?

Cut 'em, root 'em, trade 'em.

no the sarrs are outside, its the neps. they have been growing like weeds lately, i have two hitting the top now and its starting to deform the newest leaves

Ohhhhhh. Nepenthes DO grow pretty tall after a while. I guess you could either move them into a greenhouse (if you have one that's tall enough) or cut off some of the top stem and bury it in peat to see if it'll take root. It sounds like your plants are a bit too big to trade.

well the tank tipped sideways is only about 12'' and they are in fairly large pots, and i dont want to trade the neps, maybe the drosera lol.

get a bigger setup of course!

1) trade them off in exchange for plants that actually fit your growing space.
2) see above.
3) repeat steps 1 and 2 until you get results.

;-)

sounds like you'll just have to move them :cry:

Same here !! My nepenthes was once in a 9gal terrarium, after i buyed a bigger one (30gal) after that my nep start to vign! Like 3 inches between each leaf, so i had to buy a 36inches tall (55gal) terrarium just for this plant.
Many new growers like to have 20 or more littles baby neps. They have to realize that theses plants will grow, and become monsters.

When i buyed my nep september 2011, the rosette size was 6inches. Now the rosette is 18inches wide, and the plant is 14inches tall with 8inches+ pitchers. Im waiting for a flower later this summer, maybe next year..

Thats why i only have 2 nepenthes in my collection.

in just a year i went from 30 gallon tank, to a 100 gallon tank, to a 4 x 4 x 7 tent and now a 4 x 8 x 7 tent. and i will more than likely upgrade to a 10 x 10 x7 by end of the year :p

Why not follow Cthulhu's advice and cut the vines? If you do not have any space to root them you could always trade/giveaway the unrooted cuttings here.

go for grow tent/greenhouse.

i went from 10 gal to 30 gal to a 3x3x3 in a year. however the 3x3x3 is inside a 7x7x12 gh so i should be good for a while.

ok ive decided to cut it, i have never done a nep cutting before. after some research i am thoroughly confused. is rooting hormone necessary? how many nodes? scrape the bottom of the stem or split it? peat or sphag?

Tatorger: do you have a picture of the beast?

I do single or double node cuttings, no hormones, with split stem in sphagnum. All in a seedling tray beside the rest of the neps. Then wait...

@maiden: i wouldn't consider it a beast its only about 12 inches total, including the pot, and the spacing between nodes is like an inch
@dueoka: do in need to put it in a more shaded area in the terrarium? or is full blast light ok?

Do the logical thing : buy a greenhouse! :D

i would love to but alas i am a college student and don't have the space or the cashflow for that, one day

My cuttings sit between two benches shaded by larger plants. However, I have not experimented with growing the cuttings in more light as this system works for me. I assume they could tolerate normal light levels if humidity is kept high. One way to do this is to bag the cuttings (along with the pot) in a ziploc.

Back