What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Extension tube macro shots

• Thread starter Jcal
  • Start date

Jcal

Decumbent Fanatic
So,
I got one of those cheap $10 tube sets for my camera. They are not the auto ones. I just learned the trick of using the dof butting to set my aperture so I'm getting the closer to the shots I'm looking for. It's kinda a pain but it works for now. I'll get some auto tubes later, but I like learning everything manually. You end up understanding functions better. Focusing is a pain though.

Anywho, here are a few of the photos I too. These are straight out of camera. Any advise or tips will be greatly appreciated! Let see if you can guess what the pics are!

09abd478d156a79030a63a4b2741aa1d.jpg

edb6cc6a44703507d6040d108055f31c.jpg

dfca58e79ffb1d44bd8829b73979f49f.jpg

661acbe210e50b28fe00dba45b8ce06c.jpg

472d4ac53d850cc5a0e79276d5dcbe32.jpg

b80d9b99889ebf6ca0abf3975b69bff0.jpg

3ebdddc425845e68076c371039a87806.jpg

Very nice jcal,
I think the 4th is my fav....

camera and lens?
tripod or freehand?

Very nice jcal,
I think the 4th is my fav....

camera and lens?
tripod or freehand?

Thanks good sir.
Canon 60d
1.8 50mm
14mm tube

I shot them free handed. Should have used a tripod. The 4th I believe is filiformis!

ahhh 60D, sweet... I have its little brother the T3i
1.8mm 50 is a killer lens, especially for the cost. The "nifty fifty"
I have the canon 25mm tube,
For the money a tube with that lens is a lot of bang for the buck and very versatile IMHO

I am no expert... but I loveeeeeeeee my laterial tripod and cable shutter release for macro
tripodkit.jpg

I like the tripod set up..some day :). I have the pentax 50mm 1.4 mf and a set of three stacking ex-tubes 12, 20 and 36. the tubes are chipped for autofocus and metering. I was lucky to get them many years ago, when I was shooting film, as no one makes them anymore.
This my minor using the 50mm and the 36mm ex-tube. It was taken free hand.
@Jcal..I really like the first one. I would just crop out the distracting, to my eye, area at the bottom.

blswtjgp-2-2.jpg

ahhh 60D, sweet... I have its little brother the T3i
1.8mm 50 is a killer lens, especially for the cost. The "nifty fifty"
I have the canon 25mm tube,
For the money a tube with that lens is a lot of bang for the buck and very versatile IMHO

I am no expert... but I loveeeeeeeee my laterial tripod and cable shutter release for macro

Very nice setup av. I just got the nifty fifty a few weeks ago. all of my friends tried to talk me into the 1.4 or higher, but I didnt bite. for the price you get very sharp shots when your in the sweet spot. I do need a tripod badly. I'm sure helps greatly with the clarity. I am liking the tubes more and more each day. One day I will pull the trigger on a branded, auto tube set. I was playing around with my shutter release cable yesterday. That helps a lot!

I like the tripod set up..some day :). I have the pentax 50mm 1.4 mf and a set of three stacking ex-tubes 12, 20 and 36. the tubes are chipped for autofocus and metering. I was lucky to get them many years ago, when I was shooting film, as no one makes them anymore.
This my minor using the 50mm and the 36mm ex-tube. It was taken free hand.
@Jcal..I really like the first one. I would just crop out the distracting, to my eye, area at the bottom.

Thanks for the advise. I do need to polish those. I have them in lightroom but haven't made any adjustments yet.
I love those windows in the minors. Very nice pic. Can see all of the leaf structure.

Back