What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Butt smoking status?

First attempt,

6 lb bone in butt
Spicy/ sweet rub with a tiny bit of apple juice injection. I was afraid of overdoing the injection. I didn't want to taste the apple.
Smoker set on 225f, water tray, hickory chips

Curious about progress, is this what I should expect at this point?
bb.jpg

3 hrs / internal temp of 154f and just did the first spritzing

Figured I would wrap at 165f and bring internal temp up to 195f and check for tenderness
keeping it basic, trying to walk before I run

:-O

y'all hurry over, and stop and pick up more Guinness pls

any advice appreciated :)

Looking good! low and slow... low and slow...
All out of Guiness but I've got some Magner's... we could make Black Velvets
Ooooh, what if instead of apple juice you used something like Magner's or Woodchuck cider next time?
Or better yet, why don't I go get a pork butt and do that right now?

Hehehehe, I was hoping you were lurking around somewhere :)

Only prob is im limited to what I can find at local small town stores (ie., walmart and Kroger)
But I will look for the Magner's and Woodchuck :)

is 225f low and slow enough?

That's perfect... I do mine at 225. I usually toss them in at midnight and then get them out the next day around 10-11 AM.

do you wrap in foil at 165?

OMG, I imagined the thread to be about some else completely, with the words "butt" and "status". Only you Butchie.....

Even though some ganstas say I've got more lines than the DMV I have never rapped!

I've never wrapped. I feel that if you are going that low you might as well continue cooking at that temperature (since you're going at 225 --50-60 degrees I don't think would make a difference). However, if you are following someone's specific recipe I would go with what they recommend.

OMG, I imagined the thread to be about some else completely, with the words "butt" and "status". Only you Butchie.....

I considered using the term "money muscle" in the title too, but figured only one or two people would understand that reference
(av polishes his halo)

"Money muscle" is part of the pork butt that is considered the most desirable... LOL

jennie .... hehehehehe (ducks as centrifuge goes flying by my head)

Even though some ganstas say I've got more lines than the DMV I have never rapped!

I've never wrapped. I feel that if you are going that low you might as well continue cooking at that temperature (since you're going at 225 --50-60 degrees I don't think would make a difference). However, if you are following someone's specific recipe I would go with what they recommend.

No, no one recipe... just trying to take the basics from all the bits of info I've found.
Plus I think I recorded like 10 episodes of the bbq cooking competition with the three judges

Lot of contradictions.. cook at this temp, cook at that temp, wrap, don't wrap, inject, don't inject, fat cap on, fat cap off, score fat cap, sheesh omg

you would think they were CP'ers the way they argue online LOL

I was getting the impression the wrapping was done when using stick smokers, to keep from over smoking.... but no one ever really said that anywhere I could fine.

and omg kahnli, cheesey my friend... very cheesey LOL, word... :p

Looks tasty! :awesome:

*Likes what he sees, and approves of this butt* :awesome:

Hahaha... pretentious artists we chefs can be. It is really trial and error until you find what works for you. I grew up in the Shenandoah Valley and my mothers pulled pork to this day blows my mind but I can't duplicate what she does. I followed her steps but I swear that woman's cookware is possessed with the demon flavor of goodness. You just build on what you learn from others and what you experiment with on your own... which, as you said, is much like the CP world.

Well, you are the only person I know that owned a restaurant and made a living doing this stuff...
sooooooo, welcome to guru status :)

I wont wrap, but I will stop smoking (using the wood chips) at 165 then :)
Almost there, we have stalled at 160 for a while
(expected I guess)

Last edited:
So when's dinner then? I'll bring the 'tater salad.

Zuuuuuuuuuuuu!!!!

eww tater salad is wrong on so many levels LOL, but that's ok.... just come on!

well I am past "the stall" and temps are climbing again, I'm estimating a late dinner... maybe 8ish
I should have started this earlier LOL

The stall lasted 2-3 hrs...

Hurry over David, you got about 3 hours to get here
I'll leave the porch light on, just turn left when you hear the dueling banjos :p

Hour 7 & internal temp of 172f
bb2.jpg

It's a thing of beauty. :drool:

hurry up exo, you invited too..... I got buns, just bring your fav sauce

I still need more Guinness, who bringing the Guinness?

Could make a sauce with some of those pan drippings, some molassass, chili powder, garlic powder, a splash of redwine vinagar.

good idea, you're in charge of that.... I got everything you asked for :)

Back