What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

what to do in winter in Massachusetts?

I want to make a bog garden in my front yard, but can CP's live outdoors in the winter up here in Massachusetts?

Sure they can! There are native sarracenia and utricularia here, and although I no longer live/grow plants here (although I'm writing this from Boston), I know a few other people on this forum that do. I'm sure that they will be able to provide better (and firsthand) information, but as far as I gather, you can easily maintain a bog garden as long as you cover the bog with mulch or a tarp if there are more cold intolerant species. Check out Cthulhu's thread, I know he has posted updates pertaining to his bog. Good luck!

Yes they can. I have several outdoor bogs here..

What are the over-wintering techniques?

I've never done anything to protect the bogs in winter. Last year was the only year I ever lost anything. That week of near 0 temps with no snow on the ground we had killed off my vft's. Hoar ice pushed them all up out of the bog. I'll definitely be mulching the lower bog this year, don't want to lose any more flytraps and I'm trying a Darlingtonia out there all year for the first time.

i mulch my bog with 12 inches of white pine needles that i collect from a local park. :)

Back