What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best lighting for tissue culture?

I currently grow my plants under T5 HO around 14" away and they all have great color, vigor, etc.. I'm about to get into tissue culture and need to get another grow light since I don't have any more room on my shelves. My question is, for tissue culture, does the intensity of the light matter as much as it does with plants outside of tissue culture? Is there a noticeable difference between tissue cultures grow under T8s/T5s and T5 HO lights? I understand with T8 or T5 I'd have to keep the light a lot closer to get a strong light output.

Just wanted to hear everyone's opinion on the matter! Thanks!

Less is more. Tissue culture plants do not require the same amount of lighting as plants on compost. Too close, and the babies will roasting since they are like bubble babies in an enclosed hot house. High light intensities also stimulate any dormant algae that may have hitched a ride on the seed. As for light wavelength, photoinduction of seed germination occurs in the red wavelength and thus cool white 4200K bulbs would be a good choice.

Less is more. Tissue culture plants do not require the same amount of lighting as plants on compost. Too close, and the babies will roasting since they are like bubble babies in an enclosed hot house. High light intensities also stimulate any dormant algae that may have hitched a ride on the seed. As for light wavelength, photoinduction of seed germination occurs in the red wavelength and thus cool white 4200K bulbs would be a good choice.

So would you suggest T8 bulbs? If I do a 4 bulb fixture, would 12" away be good?

Back