What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anything that goes BANG!

This is very much like what I am looking for. I am trying to learn precision shooting. Heh. Trying. What I have right now is just the notebook, and I try to write in my shots. It's not going so well, especially when I try to log a 6 and keep writing 9. Derp. Anyways, I was looking for something I saw once that had a place to indicate the weather, what ammo you used, and even a little target to dot in each shot, and a generous notes section. I think I'll be needing something a little more advanced when I start shooting the .22; the teeny little bullets are so much mroe sensitive to variables.

Heck, even the notebook, clumsy as it is, already pointed out a trend that I need to look into. But that's a story for later.

If I *ever* thought that my little carbine was a "big gun," I just saw something. Here are two EMPTY, fired brass cases. One from the carbine, and one from a .50 cal. Note teh .50 cal's primer, versus the whole carbine case.

I want to take a ride on a 50 sometime, but there are even bigger sticks....

I will pass on that....

Range back open...

Took an item of history, my 1934 Mosin-Nagant M91/30 7.62x54R
It was shooting way low, but functioned perfectly....
The ammo was given to me and I was warned that it was pretty bad quality surplus.
owie, my shoulder is bruised LOL
mosin1.jpg

mosin2.jpg

(serial number digitally removed)

The rifle that won the Battle of Stalingrad, and likely WWII

mind giving me what markings are on that gun? or even just good pics? dont care bout the serial number you can block that out if yah want but curious of the pedigree of that gun....dont know why but for some reason i like Mosin Nagants.....they are real clunky compared to the 95-98 mausers and just terrible compared to the Greek Mannlicher-Schoenauer ive got but i still like them....

I just acquired a stock from a Mosin Nagant. The owner couldn't get out the cosmoline, and gave up. I was going to fit a pine dummy to it, and make a teaching prop.

The carbine has had some work done to it. Remember, it's been modified some time in the past, and is valueless, so I can pretty much have a blast without remorse. ;) I had the stock refinished. It came out much shiner than I wanted, but somehow, it works!

some shade tree methods to remove cosmoline are stick it in the oven at 200f (if it will fit) and then wipe it off as it bleeds out
or wrap it in paper towels then dark garbage bag and leave in sun or trunk of car during summer for a week or two or three lol

more aggressive methods include common oven cleaner/aerosol automotive brake parts cleaner or naphtha

Katie, you might want to price that mosin stock on ebay or gunbroker.com, might be a little change in the pocket depending on what you have....
if its a Finn with cartouche marks, or even a regular Mosin stock it can be worth a little if its in good shape.... if its a Finn don't remove any of the old finish or touch it with sandpaper.

http://7.62x54r.net/MosinID/MosinIDII.htm

000 or 0000 steel wool will knock that shine off your stock if you want, looks pretty nice kid

Rattler, sure.... ill snag some pics for ya this weekend... its a stamped, matching (not forced) refurbed Izhevsk

Last edited:
Here ya go Rattler,
Nothing really special collector wise, but a decent historical shooter

IMG_0039.JPG

IMG_0040.JPG

IMG_0041.JPG

IMG_0042.JPG

The date on the lower tang of the receiver is either 1926 or 1929, I don't remember which.

very cool, thank you....

Rattler,

Picked up a 1944 Sako M39 this morning
90% bluing, matching bolt, exc bore, exc war time stock with cartouche marks and it even has the original arsenal tag!
Should arrive next week

Woot Woot!!!!!

Still covered in cosmoline
24852X-1.jpg

24852X-2.jpg

24852X-3.jpg

24852X-4.jpg

Source supplied images

:)

Last edited:
lucky SOB.....Sako and Sky remanufactured Nagants are as good as they get.....

some shade tree methods to remove cosmoline are stick it in the oven at 200f (if it will fit) and then wipe it off as it bleeds out
or wrap it in paper towels then dark garbage bag and leave in sun or trunk of car during summer for a week or two or three lol

more aggressive methods include common oven cleaner/aerosol automotive brake parts cleaner or naphtha

Katie, you might want to price that mosin stock on ebay or gunbroker.com, might be a little change in the pocket depending on what you have....
if its a Finn with cartouche marks, or even a regular Mosin stock it can be worth a little if its in good shape.... if its a Finn don't remove any of the old finish or touch it with sandpaper.

http://7.62x54r.net/MosinID/MosinIDII.htm

000 or 0000 steel wool will knock that shine off your stock if you want, looks pretty nice kid

Rattler, sure.... ill snag some pics for ya this weekend... its a stamped, matching (not forced) refurbed Izhevsk

The Mosin stock has already been sanded and monkeyed around with before I got it. It's currently sitting under a thick coat of still tacky stain. Yuck. I'll look at it tomorrow, and see what I find or don't find. The oven is small, so I'll try the back of the truck. Once I get the danged stain off.

I'll have some great update photos of the carbine tomorrow. I have the new front band, and it looks boss. I'm getting a bayonet with a dead handle next week; I'm going to replace the crumbly leather with semi-matching walnut.

I had an interesting day. Mostly sitting and chatting, but also got a really good, detailed lesson on revolver operation from a friend. I got to try on the holstered Colt .45, and walked around feeling macho for a few minutes. :awesome: We also discussed the difference between shooting at the range, and shooting when the worst case happens, and you need your FA. I spent a few minutes doing what I'll call an educational exercise. Stand in the kitchen, and suddenly whip around and confront an "assailant" behind me: turn-raise-dry fire, and then look at where my shot would have gone. The kitchen counter would have gotten really beat up, but that evil old bottle of Ajax did finally get it's imagined due justice in the end. LOL! In all seriousness, if you're gonna carry, you need to practice for situations like that. I never have, and I could see that in the wild directions my hypothetical rounds went, and by how awkwardly I drew and handled the pistol. I also learned what a wad cutter round is. Very interesting!

I didn't get any pictures of the carbine. by the time we were about to go out back and start working on the truck/ picture taking, we got a cal from the range: the guy that was supposed to relieve the Range Officer didn't show up, and the current RO had to leave. That's where the rest of our daylight day went. Pics tomorrow, maybe. I got to be "Assistant RO" again. Soooo cool! The "kids" were good, at least. Only had to tell one once to slow down, and another to step forward a bit to line up with the rest of the guys. Afterwards we went back and studied and discussed the pit area, and had some fun picking at the accumulated lead concretion forming in the corners of the rear wall. Stuff gets pretty well beat up back there! I got to take home a small piece of the lead cake.

Last edited:
Here's my newest blaster, 10 rounds of 45ACP in a nice easy to carry package.

Matching flashlight, cool!

Lil is going smallbore!

I picked up my Ruger 10-22 today, after the forever-long California 10 day waiting period. I took it straight to the indoor range and first zeroed it, and then tried to see how tight a group I can get. Looks like I can hold an 8, for now. Needs practice, whew! This is at 50 feet, resting on a bench rest. Pictured is the back, that tells teh tale better than the oft-pasted front. Look carefully, you can see the black circle.

The last target. I put up a fresh one just to see what I can do.

I have been trying to learn a tough trick. Both eyes focused on something, at different distances. I managed a little bit at work, from my finger to my desk, and later from a spot on the windshield to a neat looking tail light across the way. But I haven't done any target practice since then, until now. I had to remember that I was trying to do this, but as soon as I thought about it, up popped an odd view. Just as I was told to try, I saw both the view through the scope AND the target at the 50' line, all by it's lonesome. The target was superimposed over/within the scope view, happily off to one side, out of the way. I remember that it's not supposed to be superimposed, that will take practice to get straightened. I'm just happy that I'm doing it! And, as far as I could tell, both views were in focus. Talk about weird!

Sketch from the journal:

doesnt go bang, but seems to fit this thread.....Christmas present for my brother, real deal from one of the current suppliers to the Gurkhas....the #2 or Training/Jungle pattern with the unpolished, thicker blade and unpolished buffalo horn handle

one comment on your new rifle Lil.....the scope looks like its mounted awful high......now my cheek bones and such are that i tend to prefer my scopes mounted high aswell but with th esloping stock of that Ruger, yours is mounted REALLY high.....looks like it has the makings of a good shooter....

Rattler, WAY cool knives.

You are absolutely correct. Cheek weld? Try CHIN weld. This just won't do at all. I was uncomfortable, and unable to get a good prone position today. I had to crane my neck and put the butt plate in the wrong spot on my shoulder. Just plain not good. I'm not sure how to fix this, unless I get different scope ... legs. This can wait, I am to ditch the scope and go back to iron sights for my initial training. I was also having a hard time with the sling; it was on backwards. :blush: The NDS front and rear sights warranted a quick Google, but now that I know basically how they work, they might actually do so. Work. I'll try them. The front sight is claimed to have a large range of movement-- that might be handy later. For now, I just need to learn how to use it all. Elevation is taken care of at the front sight. Weird.

I am really liking the Eley Edge ammo. As advertised, it leaves a nice, crisp, clean edge where it goes through the target. The powder smells a little sour, but that's just something I'll get used to. I had three stovepiped empty casings that didn't get properly ejected; I'll look into that.

Fun fact: I'm allergic to Remington powder, whatever they use. It makes my nose run like nuts when I shoot it. That's annoying; no Remington for me.

Back