What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What media do you keep on hand?

I always make sure I have a large amount of long-fiber Sphagnum, preferably the New Zealand moss, and peat (which isn't hard to find at all). I don't really grow anything like Cephalotus that has very exacting soil requirements, though.

I always make sure I have a large amount of long-fiber Sphagnum, preferably the New Zealand moss, and peat (which isn't hard to find at all). I don't really grow anything like Cephalotus that has very exacting soil requirements, though.

the new zealand moss is better ?

the new zealand moss is better ?

Apparently it lasts twice as long (or longer) than Chilean sphagnum moss. Plus, they harvest NZ sphagnum moss every few years to allow it to regenerate and it's transported by helicopter to avoid disturbing the habitat.The government has some regulations about harvesting..etc so it's supposedly more Eco-friendly.

I'm growing a lot more than CPs so I keep a bit of everything around. I still can not find Turface in TX, even the John Deere stores let me down. But finding good quality sand down here is a nightmare also.

Orchid bark
Hydroton
Sphagnum moss, high grade and low grade for packing
Perlite
Pumice
Tree Fern Fibers
Charcoal
Sand
Very fine Lava Rock - Just started using this stuff about a year ago and I'm loving it.
Used ADA aquasoil
Peat moss

Back