What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Toxic bar food . . .

• Thread starter BigBella
  • Start date
What can you say about a traditional dish -- popular among Italians and other Mediterranean peoples -- which, if not prepared properly, can cause the misfiring of neurotransmitters -- for acetylcholine to play dead?

Tasty . . .

They are lupini beans; and the trick is to brine them and to rinse them on a daily basis, for a week or so; that is, until the bitterness associated with the anticholinergic compounds -- associated with lupin poisoning -- are leeched from them. Those that I had prepared this evening, will be ready on Monday or thereabouts.

They are typically eaten at room temperature as a bar snack, along with beer -- say, a Guinness or two or three.

Got to love the Italians; there's not a single warning or set of instructions on the bag . . .

wow, so are they a neurotoxin? Reminds me of fugu fish

are thhey reallly that good? i cant imagine going thru the trouble for such a thing lol

fugu is a tetrodotoxin, its some cool stuff. I did my final project on it in organic chemistry. it is like 10 times more toxic than cyanide

Playing dead sounds like fun. I take it you can OD? What's the half life? Sounds like a very interesting food to try once at least.

Playing dead sounds like fun. I take it you can OD? What's the half life? Sounds like a very interesting food to try once at least.

They are mild and flavorful; and, by the time they're cured, harmless. Olives too, are unbelievably nasty until brined. They are commonly made for celebrations -- most commonly, Christmas and Easter . . .

I use to make a morning glory beverage back in the day. Had to first remove a poison from them too

Ill bring the MG ale and you bring the killer beans lol

a little LSA never hurt anyone....

Av fixes halo and tells David to pass the beans nomnomnom :)

Last edited:
was told you leave them in a bag and in a tide pool here in Hawaii. salt water wash away all the bad stuff

hahaha morning glory drinks bring back memeories

"Leave them in a bag in a tide pool", don't let Fish & Game catch you, that would be considered illegal fishing practices! :^}

Fall is approaching, and i'm getting a hankering for acorn pancakes. I had them as a kid, and would like to make some myself, *IF* i'm willing to take the week-two weeks to soak the tannins out of them. Yuck.

Back