What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Plant of the Month September 2013

Vote for the top 3 best!

• amphirion - S. x catsebaei

Votes: 3 14.3%
  • mcmcnair - H. sp. Angasima

Votes: 4 19.0%
  • William9in - N. rafflesiana BE #99

Votes: 2 9.5%
  • Maiden - S. ‘dana delight’

Votes: 1 4.8%
  • RL7836 - U. nephrophylla x reniformis

Votes: 9 42.9%
  • kulamauiman - P. laueana

Votes: 12 57.1%
  • Av8tor1 - H. ‘Butchenisis’

Votes: 7 33.3%
  • adnedarn -- U. alpina x endresii

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • D_muscipula - N. truncata “Pasian Highland”

Votes: 4 19.0%
  • Ace209 - D. Filliformis Trayci

Votes: 2 9.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
butchenesis.jpg

Because people were grumbling:

Pinguicula laueana taken 9/23/2013
this is the plant

I guess people want the whole plant so here is the flower stalk also:

and more of it

here is the flower bud on top of the flower stalk looking down at the plant:

this is the flower bud:

from another angle:

Do i need to get pictures of the pot, soil, roots also?

My fave ...
DSC_0022_817.jpg

The lack of precise focus as well as the deliberately-centered primary subject is an intriguing use of artistic license to crush the photographic dictum concerning 'thirds' - while simultaneously throwing adherents of the dictum something to ponder with the wonderfully translucent curved background appendage in the lower region. The not-quite-vertical apparition on the right continues the lack-of-focus theme and adds a touch of tension to the submission.

Pure genius. :clap:

Wow kula that was a bit of an overreaction, sorry I didn't mean to bring on the wrath of kula. All I did was ask to see the plant, which by the way is a beautifully grown plant. I didn't mean to cause any problems...

Last edited:
Yes please, I would LOVE to see the soil too! ;-)
(mighty fine plant, great photos, kula!)

Actually Mach, I can't see the underside of the leaves in ANY of those shots. If you could get some shots from underneath that would be great. Thanks.

some people love to stir it up ,;)for me plant of the month should show a plant has been grown well over a period of time,i could post a pic of a nep pitcher that looks good but if i zoomed out the whole plant itself could look like crap,that ping to me looks more impressive with a pic of the plant ,nice ping kula

My fave ...
DSC_0022_817.jpg

The lack of precise focus as well as the deliberately-centered primary subject is an intriguing use of artistic license to crush the photographic dictum concerning 'thirds' - while simultaneously throwing adherents of the dictum something to ponder with the wonderfully translucent curved background appendage in the lower region. The not-quite-vertical apparition on the right continues the lack-of-focus theme and adds a touch of tension to the submission.

My thoughts exactly. My point has and is that with the few pics I have been taking up to this point, trying to tell the the whole story. But of course like any story there are the bits that don't translate well to any medium. Be it text, photo or video. Can you imagine a tale of two cities taken one picture at a time? Even the movie/video adaptations of said epic won't completely reproduce said book. Sure if we can compose things to make it tell something important or illustrate a point, get all of the plant, but if it doesn't then it is all gratuitous, extraneous BS that the people throwing stones don't seem to even adhere to in the case of "see the whole plant". Sure composing a whole plant pic of S. purpurea, or S. psitticina not to bad vs S. flava or any of the tall ones. Even at seedlings the aspect of the height to width of the taller species make it difficult to do justice. I am waiting for someone to say "well the pictures should include the parts that trap insects" and then what happens to the both of us that enjoy taking pics of utricularia and gensliea that for the most part do not have the most photogenic traps. I can and do take pics of utricularia bladders with the camera and my lab's microscope, but I don't see them as germane to the picture, nor is trying to take the entire plant in the case of something like U. nelumbifolia's three - six foot long flower stalks. All I have seen lately are people grumbling, complaining *****ing that "the same people always win", or "the person running contest is doing it wrong", or "voting is rigged" or "the rules suck". People have stopped having fun. I always looked at this as fun. Opportunity to learn, try new photo techniques, show off something new growing, flowering, or illustrate how the differences in cultural practices affect color, shape or form of the plants in question. A lot of the time I submit things and I don't even vote, not for myself or anyone else.

some people love to stir it up ,;)for me plant of the month should show a plant has been grown well over a period of time,i could post a pic of a nep pitcher that looks good but if i zoomed out the whole plant itself could look like crap,that ping to me looks more impressive with a pic of the plant ,nice ping kula

got several question: how do you show a plant that has been grown over time? What is the time frame? from time you planted it? time you received the plant? photo montage and have one morph into the other? The problem I see is that we have only a small snapshot in time. In one of the pitchers of the months I did try to capture the pitcher from a mature un-opened pitcher to full open and almost mature. Mostly for the fun of it, but I don't see that it is a standard to judge people's photos by as this again is a snap shot a very finite slice of time. Yes, I intend to do this for this flower as well to allow myself to capture the development, update the progress and if everything is timed right it blooms completely by the end of the month.

not grown over time,grown well over a time,ie not only the newest growth looks good,i have obviously got the wrong idea ,my comments were not directed towards you, just in general,i just like pics of the entire plants when possible,but hey this is meant to be fun,think my point is pretty obvious so not gonna carry on splitting hairs

where is the whole plant?

Its a pitcher, not a flower.

For myself, you can post your dirty socks i dont care, im not the one who bring this conversation here. And why do you go crazy by posting each square inch of your plant ?
Just take it easy :-D

Its a pitcher, not a flower.

For myself, you can post your dirty socks i dont care, im not the one who bring this conversation here. And why do you go crazy by posting each square inch of your plant ?
Just take it easy :-D

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by mcmcnair

I agree with Corky, it's not flower of the month. As beautiful as some of these shots are it would be nice to see the whole plants as well.
I already had this conversation with thezyo, flowers are accepted. My point was the same as you; its the 'plant of the month' contest.

I guess you didd post that either?

edit: waste of time here..

Last edited:
edit: waste of time here..
You were not meant to be the brunt of this. And as you say it has been counter productive. But say what you mean mean what you say.

Last edited:
Alright, I stayed out of this when I saw it today at work because I thought it would work itself out since clear points had been made like:

rarely do I ever see a whole sarracenia plant. Or neps. or. xxxxxx......... somethings just don't work out well for everything to fit. So they get distilled down to a pitcher, a leaf, a close up of something special . photo of an entire flowering capensis would end up a tiny little plant, tiny flower at top to try to get everything.......

Any others. Also, I have to admit that I LOVED the banter between kulamauiman and RL7836 and his rant on the blurry photo! I see nothing wrong with a pitcher, a flower, a tendril loop, a bladder trap WHATEVER being entered... If you don't like the entry, don't vote for it. :) I believe the goal of this to start was to encourage people to take and share pictures. I love the artistic creativity people have with the photos they take since I seem to completely lack it.

I would vote for the P. laueana flower or U. nepyrophylla x . reniformis flower over the other entries (at this point) as my favorite plant. If either were in my collection right now, the things being shared the these photos are what I would be looking at when I walked out to the greenhouse.

Andrew

All that said, I would like to put in my entry.

Taken today, U. alpina x endresii under growth. It is what I saw earlier when I was working in the greenhouse, it is what interested me at the time, it is what I took a picture of, it is what I am sharing with you all now. =)

20130924_170627.jpg

My fave ...
DSC_0022_817.jpg

THIS was pure genius.

My fave ...
DSC_0022_817.jpg

I feel like I'm back in art school.
How come I didn't get this kind of response to the dead Nepenthes pitcher a few month ago? That was a thing of pure beauty.

You do realize it is only called "Plant" of the Month because it isn't restricted to any one Genus or Family. Nor is it restricted to Carnivorous Plants. People are free to post pictures of their orchids, succulents, peppers, hosta lawn grass or what have you. Just as long as it conforms to the rules.

Nepenthes truncata "Pasian Highland"
66147_3466690561949_947027159_n.jpg

988274_3466691001960_1319195657_n.jpg

Wow! you feed your Truncata mice and Pepsi!

Back