What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Plant Imports

BioZest

zesty.
I don't know how to import plants!!!:headwall:

I found this nursery that sells really cheap plants, but I'm supposed to handle the import process. I'm not going to be getting anything that's under CITES, just some cephs and a cobra. They sell Phytosanitary and CITES permits at the website, but I don't which I should get. ??? How do I import stuff without breaking the super confusing laws?

thanks.

Whatever they are selling is no good here. You need your USDA/APHIS import permits. It's kind nonsensical to import Darlingtonia and Cephalotus anyway. There are many domestic sources for both genera.

Johnny is right: why jump through all the hoops (tedious, complicated and expensive) when you can buy both genera here in the US from numerous sources??

Last edited:
because they sell cephs for 5 euros. i dont know of any other places that can compete with that.

Shipping and permit costs will make importing more expensive.

They won't be that cheap by the time you've paid for everything! (documentation, phyto certificates, shipping, etc) But hey, go for it if you think that is going to be a deal.

Last edited:
i guess it probably won't be worth it. It's just that there are not a lot of domestic sellers of these plants.

i guess it probably won't be worth it. It's just that there are not a lot of domestic sellers of these plants.

Tell you what; I will give you a young Cephalotus for the cost of shipping. At least then you will be spared the needless pain of importing from Europe.

Tell you what; I will give you a young Cephalotus for the cost of shipping. At least then you will be spared the needless pain of importing from Europe.

Seriously? That's amazing. Thanks so much!

I'll pm you.

Super generous Paul! Love people like you in the hobby.

I understand where you are coming, but from a slightly different standpoint. I would love to import different clones of cephalotus but it is extremely difficult. Both parties have lots of work to do to accomplish the feat. Most are unwilling to even consider it.

Yeah it can be tough I guess. I've never really done it before...

It's crazy to import something you can get domestically. The phytosanitary certificates will probably cost you around $40 (range from $20 to $200 USD depending on the country) and shipping about the same. And if the paperwork is not correct the shipment could be delayed up to 6 weeks in Customs and Agriculture Quarantine. The shipment could get seized or destroyed too. And with the budget sequestration you have less inspectors working shorter hours which will mean more delays.

Darlingtonia is available from at least three of the online vendors on the West Coast. There are two vendors of Cephalotus that I know of in the US. Comb through the posts on Cephalotus and the recent ICPS conference. Or join the ICPS listserv and make a polite inquiry there. They subscribe to the list or somewhere will give you contact information.

Ryan, also keep in mind that cheap does not equal good.

You should also keep in mind that most reliable nurseries abroad are reluctant to ever export Cephalotus due to the genus' tendency to quickly die in transit.

Thanks for your insights guys. I see now that It would be best to get stuff domestically. Sometimes I wish I lived in Europe though...

Hey, I will spring for the cobra for shipping cost! PM sent.

Last edited:
Back