What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

10,000 Carnivorous Plants Stolen

Not a Number

Hello, I must be going...
Staff member
http://www.starnewsonline.com/artic...ly-Trap-Farm-make-off-with-carnivorous-plants

Burglars target Fly Trap Farm, make off with carnivorous plants
Published: Friday, September 27, 2013 at 11:53 a.m.
Last Modified: Friday, September 27, 2013 at 11:53 a.m.

Burglars made off with 10,000 carnivorous plants from a Supply business this week.

Between 4:30 p.m. Wednesday and 7:49 a.m. Thursday when The Fly Trap Farm opened for business, the bandits gained entry into the building via a broken window and stole $65,000 worth of Venus' flytraps and the flytrap's bug-eating cousin the pitcher plant, said Brunswick County Sheriff's Office spokeswoman Emily Flax.

In addition to the plants, which were kept in a greenhouse, a metal cart and tools were missing.

The burglary is under investigation.

– F.T. Norton

So, the plants that they take from nature have been taken from them? Interesting. It is them that I'm thinking of... right?

Fly Trap Farms collects plants from the wild??!??

Well, from what I understand they do it by getting the land owner's permission and or their own property... But plants from the wild? yes.

So, the plants that they take from nature have been taken from them? Interesting. It is them that I'm thinking of... right?

Fly Trap Farms collects plants from the wild??!??

Yes and Yes.

Allegedly they get permission from property owners to collect plants (legal) but collect all the plants available. I think the owner has said they wild collect plants.

hmmm. This is an interesting story. The nursery who collects plants from the wild and the guys who stole them (maybe to make a point?) Not that I think stealing plants is right at all but....It kind of reminds me of that discovery show Whale Wars.

Maybe the thieves will plant them back into the wild lol. Kind of hard to feel sorry for the guys when you can tissue culture VFTs and have 1000s in no time.

Poetic justice...

Yeah dionae but that would take years, equipment & some skill to get that many plants of such size as to be $6.50 wholesale each. Why bother with all that when you can rape & pillage virgin sites in a couple of days with unskilled labor & a shovel?

It might be "legal" but it ain't ethical!! IMO

Back