What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Android App Ideas For CPers?

I'm needing some ideas for an app (or apps) that would be useful for CP growers. Once built, it would only work on the android platform, as I do not possess Objective-C programming skillz (I can't make apple apps, in other words).

Fire away!

Checklists for CP's owned
Database of basic growing requirements for classes such as HL neps, mexi-pings, etc
Calendar app which allows you to input date seeds went into strat which then alerts you to when to sow seeds, etc

ideas from a android user

This would be kind of hard, but if you could do a TC-based app that would be excellent. Data-based or to keep track of what you're doing.

Checklists for CP's owned
Database of basic growing requirements for classes such as HL neps, mexi-pings, etc
Calendar app which allows you to input date seeds went into strat which then alerts you to when to sow seeds, etc

ideas from a android user

I could roll all of those things into one app most likely. Good ideas for sure.

I would guess the most useful would be something for controlling a greenhouse climate using Arduino devices or Wimotos or something. I don't think there's much use for scheduling apps and checklist apps and such. Those already exist in multitudes for general use and have a head start of many years on feature development and testing. There's no reason to spin out another app just for a niche use.

When I have a greenhouse 5-10 years from now it's my goal to automate it as much as possible and give myself a web view that lets me monitor the climate and tweak schedules and such remotely. If I need to travel for a month I don't want to leave my collection in the hands of a poorly trained babysitter. Wimotos seem to give me everything I need for monitoring. It's the devices that turn misters and fans and such off and on that could be tricky.

I'm needing some ideas for an app (or apps) that would be useful for CP growers. Once built, it would only work on the android platform, as I do not possess Objective-C programming skillz (I can't make apple apps, in other words).

Fire away!

I've been fiddling with this idea for some time, and I have the exact opposite situation as you. I know objective-c, but not Java. I developed one for the NECPS on ios if you want to check it out. It's in my signature.

!
\/

I was also thing about doing a TF app, but that would be really hard...

I've been fiddling with this idea for some time, and I have the exact opposite situation as you. I know objective-c, but not Java. I developed one for the NECPS on ios if you want to check it out. It's in my signature.

!
\/

I was also thing about doing a TF app, but that would be really hard...

For the ios, is there an equivalent to Androids PhoneGap technology? Allows development of apps using HTML/CSS/JScript/JQuery. Just curious...

Edit: Nevermind. PhoneGap works for all mobile platforms.

Last edited:
I have a couple basic journal note I keep on my ipod in doc's, common Name-Latin name-distribution-habitat description (including surrounding flora e.g. specific ferns, orchids, grasses...)-then I do a basic physiological description-then breeding patterns (e.g. needs two plants or male/female to be viable, flowers in feb-march as a result of humidity rise or june-july form temp drop)-then I do cultivation (soils-pot size and shape-lighting-humidity-airflow-temps-water regime/method-dormancy requirement (mainly drought for me as I really use winter dormancy)-propagation (including possible hybrid plants (like capensis x alicea) and seed needs, humidity, light, water soils...) then I do a basic summary of notes and give the plant a rating.
An app of this similar to the nepy layout would be great, but I don't have the time.
So far I have done a few drosera, 1 nepenthes (mirabilis southern pop) and several utrics (all aussie plants), the neps are hard as I'm in aust and being a poor uni student can't go overseas to view neps in the wild, and I don't like going off pics or other peoples notes.
I'm hoping to write a small book of local carns (of Australia) and then give some to the uni, there are so many in our area and no one even knows about them.

Nicee, i just buyed a new android :)

Maybe a simple app, like a log for a entire collection, with season temps hi and low, relative humidity hi and low peak at each season. And the date of each repotting, each division, each seeds harvest. And maybe a interactive thing for the givaways/trades ?

Edit: or a seedlings/cutting evolution app? Or a watering/feeding schedule?

Back