What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Took some photos of my Drosera

To the ones who helped me ensure that my drosera did well, here is proof that just one day later he is looking a lot healthier. Hopefully it continues to improve and grow as there are some areas that still look not so good. The first photo is a focus stacked image of the plant from what I think is the worst angle and any further insight into making sure the plant doesn't die would be greatly appreciate, but maybe for that I need to go to the board for care of drosera? Also, if this isn't the right board to post these photos in just let me know or move it for me.

These photos aren't at full zoom as I just wanted to get off a couple quick shots. When they get fuller and healthier you can expect me to take a lot more shots and even more zoomed in. Anyway, hope you enjoy these.

Link to the full resolution gallery

j0sQ3cA.jpg

lJ8PCQs.jpg

H6lx1E6.jpg

ePspHKS.jpg

moLoUCI.jpg

nmYAyh7.jpg

nw7seKA.jpg

VSa29Ru.jpg

JpyO60E.jpg

XpzUeny.jpg

The general discussions forum works for just about any subject so here is fine. You might get more specialized information on the sundew forum, but maybe not. When I post photos it is often here if I am posting of several genera.

'Looks pretty healthy to me. If you have dew on the tentacles that is a prime tell-tale. I really like the third from the bottom shot.

Looks healthy now--what was the original problem? Kinda looks like it dried out too much.

I really like the third from the bottom shot.

Me to man, it is my favorite. Once more are looking good I'll be taking more photos and a bit more time will be put into them. For such a quick setup I'm surprised how well these even came out. The MP-E is not an easy lens to use.

Looks healthy now--what was the original problem? Kinda looks like it dried out too much.

I think that it was a combination of things: moving to a new environment with different conditions, being fairly near the heater and window that gets opened and closed and would have been dealing with constant temperature changes, and then possibly using tap water at first before I got distilled. The ones that got a little shriveled still don't look good, but after I put a bag over it per recommendation the next morning a handful of them looked gorgeous as is evidenced by the photos so I stopped being worried. Should I trim/clip off the dying/dried/shrived ones or does it matter?

Often dead tissue will serve as a source for decomposing fungi because the plant's immune system is no longer defending it. If they are in a sealed, humid environment, fungal spores are more likely to germinate. Most decomposers rarely will damage living tissue, but personally I would trim whatever brown stuff you can get to. For me it's also an aesthetic thing and I am used to removing anything brown from all of my plants.

The fact that increasing the humidity helps means one of two things:
1) plant was in fact dehydrated and needs a more regular/frequent water regime
2) the roots aren't getting water to the leaves either due to rot or damage. Since the leaves perked up after being sealed in a bag, it means your roots are actually working fine and getting water to the leaves like normal.

Just keep it wet and watch how it does. After a week I'd begin poking holes in the bag and begin adapting it to lower humidity.

As a general rule, most sundews prefer stable conditions (65-85 degrees, over 50% humidity) rather than being constantly stressed out--maybe find a spot where the window doesn't get used much and is further from a heater?

I figured trimming was OK for at least aesthetic reasons, but wanted to make sure before I started trimming away. I think the main thing was being near the heater, but now it is getting enough water and not being dried out so quickly. I was having to water the Nepenthes every day, but now three days later they're still damp (but I still made sure to add water since I can't feel the bottom). I think this location is going to be way better for all of them.

The drosera is looking SO good today. In the previous photos only two were looking perk and healthy, but most of them that didn't shrivel away are looking spectacular! Man, I'm so happy the poor thing isn't going to die. Thank you all again so much for your quick responses and help. I'll be keeping a close eye on it to make sure it is in the best condition I can muster. Today I took the bag off (I had already clipped corners for fear of it getting too hot midday) and when I got home today there was no visible condensation in the bag. I think I clipped too much off, but either way I don't think it matters as I stated, it is looking so good right now. I'll groom it up and take some more photos soon.

Oh, also my apartment usually sits around a pretty controlled 68F and usually 50% humidity or more (right now it is 67.5F @ 48%).

Back