What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tip ; Label your rainwater!

Dante1709

Nepenthes newbie
I have been collecting rainwater for a while now and I usually strain it, and bottle it. However, lately I've been getting a bit lazy and have been just bottling it (removing the larger pieces of debris).I usually put them in large water bottles, unlabelled and keep them near my plants.

Recently, I was watering some orchids. I put the bottle on the kitchen counter, soaked my paphs and oncidiums and returned the plants ; but not the bottle. It's been sitting around in the kitchen, until this morning.

I was searching for it when I was going to water my Nepenthes, when I noticed it disappeared..At first, I thought maybe the dogs took it (as they've done before, without any ill effects) but then I noticed the empty bottle sitting on the kitchen counter!

Turns out my stepmother, who only drinks Evian water, drank about a litre of the rainwater..It had some tiny debris at the bottom of the bottle with a little bit of water. I haven't heard of any vomiting..etc so I hope nothing happened.Either way, I'll definitely be labelling my rainwater from now on!

(I hope I put this thread in the rights section!)

It must not have tasted too bad if she drank a whole liter of it! LOL

The boss at one of my old jobs would steal sodas from people and drink 'em. Well one day this guy who chewed tobacco was using his soda can as a spittoon... The boss was all bent outta shape after taking a swig of that! We told him "you know if it's not yours maybe you should keep your hands off!" :lol:

Or another tip: keep your rain water in a safe place lol

Good tip, thank you. I keep rain water at work for some orchids. On Monday I'll label it, just to be safe.

Turns out my stepmother, who only drinks Evian water, drank about a litre of the rainwater..It had some tiny debris at the bottom of the bottle with a little bit of water.

:lol: oh my, thats hilarious

I once used vinegar to water some live sphagnum. I was in a rush and picked up jug of vinegar instead of the similar jug of water. Pure ignorance since the jug was clearly labelled "white vinegar". Surprisingly the sphagnum pulled through after a thorough rinse.

i have not looked at this thread till just now, Ive seen it for a few days and thought how simple .
I didnt realize i was missing out on the funniest thing ive heard in a while , thanks for sharing.

And I do hope she is well .

Why do you think the French called it that? :lol:

That is too funny!!

Back