What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I'm a graduate student at Cornell University, and I have heard from school faculty and fellow students that there are several areas on and immediately adjacent to campus where Drosera rotundifolia, Sarracenia purpurea v. purpurea, and Pinguicula vulgaris populations are present. I live right next to campus, so I am very excited to be within walking distance of wild CPs. I haven't seen these populations for myself, and was reluctant to believe that carnivorous plant populations could persist in such a heavily developed area. I did some investigating, and according to some professors and New York State wildlife sources, the populations do indeed exist, and most cites are protected by either the university or local wildlife refuges. Apparently there are also some small pockets of habitat scattered around town. Earlier in the year, a few pots of Sarracenia purpurea and Drosera rotundifolia showed up in the Horticulture department greenhouses. The student who brought them in told me he found them in his friend's backyard (He had no idea they were rare, or in the case of the Sarracenia, protected).

Since I'm so close by, I would love to go see these plants growing in the "wild" this coming spring when everything comes out of dormancy. I've been asking around, but no one seems to know exactly where these carnivorous plant sites are. The Cornell University campus is huge and includes an area of school-owned gardens and forest preserves spanning several miles called Cornell Plantations, where I've heard a few small pockets of sphagnum bog are located. The city of Ithaca New York(where Cornell U is) is located on a huge hillside with gorges (I assume this is where the cliff-dwelling pings are) running through it which was carved out by glaciers. It was explained to me that small depressions on sloped areas collected moisture and led to the formation of many small peat bogs scattered throughout the area.

It seems like native carnivorous plant sites located on a university campus and within a mid-sized city would get some visitors. Has anyone in the Northeast/Upstate New York heard of these cites or been to them before?

Back