What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Burgoo and Mint Juleps

Attended a conference this week in Louisville, Ky.
Finally got the chance to have a bowl of Burgoo, a couple "Real" Mint Juleps and watch a race while at Churchill Downs.
It made up for the death by powerpoint moments :p

churchmain.jpg

race.JPG

IMG_0182.jpg

IMG_0201.jpg

IMG_0205.jpg

IMG_0207.JPG

IMG_0210.jpg

IMG_0212.jpg

IMG_0224.JPG

IMG_0240.JPG

IMG_0291.JPG

IMG_0289.jpg

Av

Did they smell nice? :-))

One appears neurotic, and in a desperate need of a vacation. But running around in small circles, who wouldn't be?

LOL, silly girl.... I stayed up wind and did a preemptive strike of benedryl!
(inside joke, allergist told me I was very allergic to horses about a week ago LOL)

#4 kept looking at everyone sort of odd like

Actually it was a very good conference, but there was a moment or two of....
Death_by_Powerpoint.jpg

O.k., I've gotta ask. What is 'Burgoo'?

A hearty, thick stew common to Ky. that dates back at least 150 yrs.
Typically made with at least 3 types of meat, one being mutton.... slow cooked over an open hickory fire so it has a bit of smoke flavor.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4lKBD2U2nAk

Last edited:
You might be snoozing during one of my lectures, or perhaps not. IMO any technical talk in excess of an hour is too long. Of course, this can be cured with intermittent cartwheels breaks :banana2:. However, some of my students prefer squat breaks. Funny.

oh we did our stretches, and we were very aware of the Muda of excessive powerpoint lol
we Jishuken ourselves all over the place to stimulate Kaizen

(the mint juleps were essential LOL)

Pictures of mint juleps equal a complete thread.

Also, I find PowerPoint to usually be a detestable crutch for inadequate presenters. My kids at school like Prezis, though.

Back