What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Plant of the Month December 2013

Vote for the top 3 best!

• bluemax - D. montana var. tomentosa

Votes: 13 59.1%
  • Maiden - H. minor var minor

Votes: 9 40.9%
  • Wire Man - N. lavicola

Votes: 3 13.6%
  • Red Lowii - Platycerium superbum

• lil hokie - D. muscipula B52

Votes: 2 9.1%
  • Jcal - C. follicularis Hummers Giant

Votes: 12 54.5%
  • Peatmoss - D. villosa var. latifolia

• amphirion - D. ordensis

Votes: 5 22.7%
  • Heli - H. folliculata

• RSS - Podochilus muricatus

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Great Looking Lavicola Wireman!

Platycerium superbum

11322429454_cb63a7111b_b.jpg

Since the flytraps are still looking pretty good for winter!

This is 'B52'. As you can see it has four trigger hairs on one lobe and three on the other.
DSCN9933_zpsfae1f3b5.jpg

Remove my entry before Ron has a baby.
Mass,
This really isn't about me. You have a misidentified plant. You can easily correct the identification.

.... or you can play the victim, blame me, pull out of the contest & keep trading/selling/sharing/posting pics of an incorrectly identified plant.

Tough decision. You're really going to go with option 2? :scratch:

I know I'm asking for trouble jumping in the middle of this, but I don't think a potential misidentification merits so much drama and finger pointing. Just my two cents. Let's just have fun here guys :)

All the plant entries look beautiful so far everyone!

Edit: On the other hand, misidentification will negatively affect people you trade with/ sell to.
So it was misidentified in the past; so what? That happens all the time. It was an honest mistake starting with the vendor you bought it from, as you said. But NOW that you have the correct information from a leading expert, I would fix it so that you're not sending people the wrong plant. No big deal ;)

It is a Beautiful plant though Mass :)

Last edited:
great entries so far,loving wiremans ,good growing Graham looks great,Mass its still a great plant and really nice pics ,no reason at all to withdraw your entry in my eyes,and redlowii that fern is awesome,just so natural looking:bigthumpup:

Last edited:
I've got a couple flowering tomentosas here as well. But my plants are probably about a 3rd the size of yours. I didn't even know they got that big!
Quite the beast you've got there my friend.
WELL THEN.. I WAS going to enter a D. hilaris this month, but since I got it from Mark.. it just doesn't feel right. Going up against him, with a plant I got from him seems like borderline cheating.. At any rate, here's an update pic for you Mark. They're doing swimmingly: http://i1140.photobucket.com/albums/n575/mass2256/IMG_5781_zps41b67615.jpg
As for my entry this month, think I'll enter a plant that Mark got from me! :mwahaha:
D. villosa (Serra de Ibitipoca, South East of Minas Gerais, SE Brazil) (front most plant)

If the leading expert on south American Drosera confirmed the incorrect identification, I would listen.
Editing the original post only to make the incorrect name in bold after the fact can only be interpreted as an invitation to more public conflict.
I don't see what good can be gained

just my 2 cents.

Goodness! I remember tangling with mass over the IDs on his D. ascendens a while back based on information Fernando discussed at the last ICPS conference. I'm glad someone is finally backing me up. :D

If the leading expert on south American Drosera confirmed the incorrect identification, I would listen.
Editing the original post only to make the incorrect name in bold after the fact can only be interpreted as an invitation to more public conflict.

just my 2 cents.

Agreed, and good point. lol. I was just trying to lighten the mood...

Time to sift through my plants and see if I can get an acceptable photo of something nice :)

too much drama lol,
fix the name, be done, be correct and move on

Thanks guys. That lavicola is a beast! It grows faster than almost everything else in my terrarium, which is weird, because it's supposed to be slow.

I do enjoy a good stag horn fern. They have such a sculptural look to them.

These are my D. ascendens (Itarare). Doesn't look anything like my so called D. villosa.
http://i1140.photobucket.com/albums/n575/mass2256/IMG_5766_zpsc1f10baf.jpg
I'm just going by what CZ plants sells them as. Perhaps they need to mature a bit more?
Remove my entry before Ron has a baby.

Nice plants! Just wanted to let you know that this is the same species as the one you had labelled as D.villosa, which I've called D.ascendens for the past 20 years, and which will have a new name in a few weeks. :)

Best wishes,
Fernando Rivadavia

P.S. The Itararé plants are one of my personal collections, from the early 90's. :)

just my 2 cents.

The name has been in bold since I first made the post. I didn't go back and edit anything, thank you very little.
You people have been sitting here right where I left you, arguing with yourselves.
I've got better things to do with my time than care about any of this..

Last edited:
Just to say, czplants often made genus misstake. Many plants i buyed from that place are unknown, because the label was not good.

Nice plants! Just wanted to let you know that this is the same species as the one you had labelled as D.villosa, which I've called D.ascendens for the past 20 years, and which will have a new name in a few weeks. :)

Best wishes,
Fernando Rivadavia

P.S. The Itararé plants are one of my personal collections, from the early 90's. :)

Looking at the pic, would you consider that to be true villosa? http://czplants.com/p6473-Drosera-villosa-|-Serra-de-Ibitipoca-|-2---4-cm-
And do we know what the new name is going to be?
So many changes, I can't keep up.

Hummers giant.

ace269679bb0e66480830a0f00f50d95.jpg

Jcal: nice plant ! What is the size of your biggest pitcher ?

Nice Ceph Jcal a few of the pitchers even striped up green/red for the holidays! They could be little elves.

Very festive.

Very kind words gentleman.
I would say 2.5 easy. Maybe alittle more. My phil Mann has pitchers roughly the same size.

7e7d3e5f151a5db756b1f89040f8a896.jpg

Back