What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Plant of the Month December 2013

Vote for the top 3 best!

• bluemax - D. montana var. tomentosa

Votes: 13 59.1%
  • Maiden - H. minor var minor

Votes: 9 40.9%
  • Wire Man - N. lavicola

Votes: 3 13.6%
  • Red Lowii - Platycerium superbum

• lil hokie - D. muscipula B52

Votes: 2 9.1%
  • Jcal - C. follicularis Hummers Giant

Votes: 12 54.5%
  • Peatmoss - D. villosa var. latifolia

• amphirion - D. ordensis

Votes: 5 22.7%
  • Heli - H. folliculata

• RSS - Podochilus muricatus

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Thanks for taking the time to make this picture with the référence. Once again, its a beautiful plant :)

and my contribution, drosera ordensis:
11473979906_32598a5ac5_o.png

Heliamphora folliculata
<iframe src="https://www.flickr.com/photos/99611974@N05/11473840295/player/956823c4b4" height="681" width="1024" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen oallowfullscreen msallowfullscreen></iframe

Last edited:
Nice heli heli :)

Looking at the pic, would you consider that to be true villosa? http://czplants.com/p6473-Drosera-villosa-|-Serra-de-Ibitipoca-|-2---4-cm-
And do we know what the new name is going to be?
So many changes, I can't keep up.

Hey, sorry to say that even the pic on their website is incorrect, that is also the ex-D.ascendens, which does not even grow at Ibitipoca, and which will soon be named... drum roll.... D.latifolia!!

I was hoping the paper would be out by the end of this year, but it seems we will have to wait until early 2014.

Anyway, sorry for all the taxonomic changes, but we accidentally rediscovered something amazing a few years ago which turned out to be the true D.ascendens - it simply hadn't been collected in 200 years! It's a very unique and beautiful plant too.

But this means that we had to find a name for what we had been wrongly calling D.ascendens over the past 20 years, and it turns out the oldest name was D.villosa var. latifolia. Thus, D.latifolia soon.

Best wishes and happy holidays to all,
Fernando Rivadavia

Last edited:
I was hoping the paper would be out by the end of this year, but it seems we will have to wait until early 2014.

Anyway, sorry for all the taxonomic changes, but we accidentally rediscovered something amazing a few years ago which turned out to be the true D.ascendens - it simply hadn't been collected in 200 years! It's a very unique and beautiful plant too.

'Guess I'll be making some name changes on my plants soon. I am looking forward to seeing what the true D. ascendans looks like.

Would it be possible to post a link to the paper when it is available, Fernando?

There's some serious competition this month. Really liking that platycerium Red Lowii!

Would it be possible to post a link to the paper when it is available, Fernando?

Of course!! I'll be spreading this far and wide, since a lot of people will need to change their plant labels.

Best wishes,
Fernando Rivadavia

Due to your request for removing your entry, you will not be included in the vote.

Either way the entry should have been disqualified. The rules state "** Please remember to clearly identify your entry!!**". By his own ruling from the defunct Drosera of the Month this means the species must be correctly labeled/identified. It is only fair that his own ruling should be applied to himself. I believe I pointed out back then that this was an absurd ruling as there are so much mis-identified/mis-labeled plants out there. I guess the chickens have come home to roost.

As far as CZ Plants go I've been warning any body for years who cared to listen that they are not a reliable source for plants and seeds.

Nice turn out this month guys. Love all the Drosos in the running - I didn't even know that one existed before, Peat!

Thanks Thez! I believe this is a former ascendens that was re-labeled by whoever sent it to me. As far as I know, it's from a location that's fairly uncommon in cultivation, but it isn't being particularly special compared to my other former ascendens.

Ok guys, here it is! I've just received news that the 40-page D.villosa-complex paper has just been published, summarizing 23 years of field work with one of my favorite carnivorous plant groups, which now includes six species: D.villosa, D.ascendens, D.graomogolensis, D.latifolia, D.chimaera, and D.riparia. What a great way to start off 2014, and what a relief it is to finally see this published! :)

http://biotaxa.org/Phytotaxa/article/view/phytotaxa.156.1.1

If you can't download the paper from the link above, shoot me a private message with your email address.

I hope it now becomes clear to everyone why it was necessary to change the name of what we had been incorrectly calling D.ascendens. As you will see from the article, the true D.ascendens is an amazing plant which has remained uncollected for nearly 200 years. Please don't be mad at us botanists, we try to only make name changes when it is truly necessary. :)

Best wishes to all and have a great 2014!
Fernando Rivadavia

P.S. Happy label changing too! :)

If you can't download the paper from the link above, shoot me a private message with your email address.

Looks like a subscription is required starting at $1400.00 USD a year :-D

I hope it now becomes clear to everyone why it was necessary to change the name of what we had been incorrectly calling D.ascendens. As you will see from the article, the true D.ascendens is an amazing plant which has remained uncollected for nearly 200 years. Please don't be mad at us botanists, we try to only make name changes when it is truly necessary. :)

Best wishes to all and have a great 2014!
Fernando Rivadavia

P.S. Happy label changing too! :)

Ha ha! That's why I use pencil.

Back