What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

LED lighting

I have been experimenting (wife says messing) with LED lights for cp growing for a while now. I am currently trying 50 & 100 Watt cool white & warm white in combination with good results. The warm whites alone got better plant growth while the cool whites gave super color within days.

Lately on fleabay red & blue combination LED "grow lights" have been showing up. I'm gonna try a couple of the 20-40 watt units but Will be staying away from this 360 watt unit - opening bid of $0.99 with a shipping cost of $150.00 tells me it's worth about, oh say probably $151.00.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Indoor-...d=100005&prg=1088&rk=4&rkt=5&sd=321266937929&

If you have any photos of your setup and results please share them, there is very little detailed information about LED and there results.

I've only been using them about a month and am loving the results so far. I'm running 14 LEDs per driver powered about 55% if I was to run the driver at 100% it would be around 60-65W lighting a 24" X 12" area and would likely melt my heatsink or start a fire. (I'm kidding but the myth that LEDs don't generate heat is a simple lie, I could probably cook an egg on the heatsink if I turned it all the way up and I'm not kidding)

I would be concerned that a 360W unit would either be inefficient (for LEDs) or overkill. An interesting anomaly occurs when you do the math for this fixture...working current .75-1.5A, output voltage 32-45V...simple wattage formula Watts=amp X volts gives you a range of 24W-67.5W in its current setup. So while you have 120 LEDs that CAN run at 3W each they will not in this setup, so no 360Ws! Interesting huh?

As for the $150 shipping and $.99 opening bid a lot of the mass retailers of china made items do this, if you looked around a bit I would think you could find a buy-it-now with the actual price they want to sell them at and the normal shipping cost. This high shipping/low opening bid tactic actually works for sellers.

Glad to see more posts about LEDs in the last few weeks :-D.

Agreed with RSS, would like to see more discussion of LED lighting.

Back