What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I keep my carnivorous plants in some spare space in a propagation greenhouse at the University I attend. The plants are all watered (by the greenhouse manager) through a fertigation system which delivers water soluble fertilizer through the irrigation system. My plants are on one of the "Do Not Fertilize" benches, so when they are watered, the fertilizer delivery system is turned off and the irrigation line is flushed. My plants never get fertilized, per say, but they are probably getting some trace amounts when they are watered, since the same irrigation line is used. I only grow Nepenthes right now, and I seriously doubt such small trace amounts of fertilizer would harm them. If anything it is helping them. I have ideal conditions for subtropical sundews and Mexican butterworts, so I have been thinking of adding them to my collection. Would they be more sensitive to extremely small trace amounts of fertilizer than Nepenthes?

Nepenthes and Pinguicula should be fine with the light amounts of watered down fertilizers coming through the lines. Drosera may be more sensitive to it though. You may want to put some "guinea pig" sundews in there for a few months before committing an entire collection to the area.

Thanks, I'll probably try out a few D. capensis as a test run. I've been checking the Nepenthes media for any moss/algae growth that would signify an excess of nutrients, and so far everything looks good.

Back