What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hey Y'all! I'm back from college and my plants aren't even dead! :-O

Anyways, these guys have been sitting under their lights in plastic tupperware bins with the bottom full of about a half inch of water for the past three months. No other care was given, only water and light.

N. singalana x clipeata by Ineptphotographer, on Flickr

N. truncata "Paisan" by Ineptphotographer, on Flickr

N. diatas "Bandahara" by Ineptphotographer, on Flickr

N. 'Miranda' by Ineptphotographer, on Flickr

H. x "Professor B." by Ineptphotographer, on Flickr

Nepenthes Box by Ineptphotographer, on Flickr

D. aff. ordensis by Ineptphotographer, on Flickr

D. spatulata "Ivan's Three Way Australian" by Ineptphotographer, on Flickr

D. spatulata "Tamlin" by Ineptphotographer, on Flickr

D. burmanii "Humpty Doo Red"? by Ineptphotographer, on Flickr

D. graomogolensis Box by Ineptphotographer, on Flickr

Drosera box by Ineptphotographer, on Flickr

D. hamiltonii by Ineptphotographer, on Flickr

D. aliciae "Silvermine, RSA" by Ineptphotographer, on Flickr

D. "oblanceolata" (false) by Ineptphotographer, on Flickr

D. admirabillis "Palmiet River, RSA" by Ineptphotographer, on Flickr

D. graomogolensis "Itacaramba, Minas Geras, Brazil" by Ineptphotographer, on Flickr

D. spatulata var. Bakoensis by Ineptphotographer, on Flickr

U. blanchetii by Ineptphotographer, on Flickr

D. schizandra flower by Ineptphotographer, on Flickr

N. rafflesiana "Brown" by Ineptphotographer, on Flickr

D. capillaris var. brasiliens by Ineptphotographer, on Flickr

D. rorimae by Ineptphotographer, on Flickr

D. villosa var. latifolia by Ineptphotographer, on Flickr

Feel free to ask any questions about my "cultivation methods" below!

Thanks for looking!

Congrats on the schizzy flower! Everything is looking good

Incredible color on the D. hamiltonii. I have been trying to achieve that level outdoors but direct sunlight in the afternoons only isn't doing it.

What kind of lighting and temperatures are you running? Those dews are not only colorful but incredibly dewy. The aliciae's just gorgeous.

So, did you just completely seal up the Rubbermaid bins so there would be no water loss and leave them? Were the neps sitting in water that whole time? elaborate ;)

looks like you had really good results!

I remember this story, but wasn't it elves and a shoemaker?

hehehehe, mom did well!!
Nice plants gabe, they look great

Thanks everyone!

@NaN: Thanks! I think it's temperature related. They were green until it got wintery around here. Night temperatures are currently around 68f and daytime would probably be around 75f in the boxes. The lights have been the same for the last two years and this is the reddest I've seen them.

@PlantMan: Lighting is two T5 HO bulbs per shelf (three plastic boxes as shown above per shelf), temperature is 75f day and 68f night, approximately. The dew is probably due to the humidity, which is near 80-100% most of the time.

@Richjam: They have holes drilled in them to allow for a small amount of airflow, but mostly they're completely sealed. My mother adds water whenever the trays run low, which has been about 3 times in the last three months. All of the trays pictured (including the Nepenthes) are kept with about 1 inch of water in the bottom at all times.

@Av: Thanks Butch! And thanks for reminding me not to give my mother clothes for Xmas! Gonna keep the master horticulturalist on staff permanently!

Yes, definitely temperature related. Mine color up best in the winter and the same with my Darlingtonia.

Peat, what media are the neps in that it does't get too soggy for them sitting in the water? I think mine in the tray method are starting to get a big waterlogged, might need to switch to something more suitable!

Back