What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Alternative to Traditional Pots

CorneliusSchrute

A leuco by any other name would still be as glutto
Being exceptionally "frugal" (read: meticulously cheap), I have been considering options for repotting this spring. I want to take down several community plantings/mini-bogs and pot out a bunch of Sarracenia separately. I was just about to purchase a bunch of pots from a vendor online when I considered an alternative: foam cups. I have read on other forums that some use these exclusively for Dionaea, and I have even used them for said genus with great success. In fact, all of my Dionaea are currently potted in large, cheap foam coolers.

My lingering question then: how will tall (large) foam cups work for Sarracenia? Anybody have any experience here? The largest rhizomes of course would need larger containers.

I feel like they would end up being top heavy and therefore unstable, if the tray they are in has tallish sides though, I don't see a problem. I use styrofoam on almost all of my outdoor CPs to protect the soil from over heating in our high altitude desert sun.

I feel like they would end up being top heavy and therefore unstable, if the tray they are in has tallish sides though, I don't see a problem. I use styrofoam on almost all of my outdoor CPs to protect the soil from over heating in our high altitude desert sun.

Exactly. The foam has many benefits. I will be using tall trays, too, so the top heaviness should be negated.

Time to start chugging the 44 oz. diabetes-inducing Cokes from the gas station then.

You can buy a case of 500 32oz Dart foam cups at sams club for less than $20. They probably have the 44 oz as well, I don't go often.

I will investigate tomorrow! Thanks for the heads up.

Sometimes, the local grocery stores have them in stock for cheap, as well.

This is a typical fast food place 32 oz cup, with holes poked in at the bottom:

Proof is in the pudding! Thanks, Jim and everyone. I bought a big case of 32 ouncers and plan on grabbing some sixteens for smaller rhizomes.

I will post some pics when potting time happens around.

Thanks again.

From today, pygmy sundews:

I've used some of these before with great success. However, it's important to make sure tje type you plan to use doesn't allow much sunlight inside them because algae could develop & the soil could heat up.

Good point: foam thickness and density could make a difference.

Back