What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Plant of the Month January 2014

Vote for the top 3 best!

• Midnight Sun - N. eymae x ephippiata

Votes: 1 3.8%
  • mass - D. spiralis

Votes: 8 30.8%
  • Maiden - D.m. 'charlie mandon spotted'

Votes: 1 3.8%
  • East_to_west - N. ramispina

Votes: 6 23.1%
  • Red Lowii - Platycerium Andinum

Votes: 2 7.7%
  • Not a Number - D. venusta 'coccicaulis'

Votes: 9 34.6%
  • RL7836 - H. collina

Votes: 10 38.5%
  • Favian - N. eymae x jacquelineae

Votes: 12 46.2%
  • FloridaCP - N. reinwardtiana

Votes: 3 11.5%
  • ace209 - D. roseana

Votes: 9 34.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

thez_yo

instigator
1. Only ONE (1) Plant per member may be entered in any particular month. This means one Nep vine, one Sarr Rhizome, one pygmy dew etc.
2. All pictures must be taken in the month of entry into the contest.
3. All entries must be clearly identified.
4. Entries are restricted to cultivated plants.
5. Contestants may post as many times and as many pictures of their entry as they like until contest closing on 01/31/14
6. Sequential pictures showing opening of a pitcher, unfurling of a leaf etc. are fine as long as all pictures are taken within the month of the contest.
7. If, for some reason, a single pitcher/plant/whatnot cannot be isolated and a group shot is necessary, then the particular pitcher/plant/whatnot entered must be clearly identified in your post.
8. Plant must have been grown by owner at least six months prior to photo, or sprouted from seed by the owner.
9. I didn't like this rule. You can keep entering the same thing month after month and if people still like it without getting sick of it, so be it.
10. Times of Contest and Poll openings and closings are to be understood as EST.
11. Judging by forum members and guests in a poll opening on 02/01/14, closing 02/05/14 and using this forum in this thread! Voting will appear at the top of the thread at the close of the contest entries.

** Please remember to clearly identify your entry!!**

Contest will be closed on January 31st 2014 at 5:00PM EST

Good Luck!

N. eymae x ephippiata

N. eymae x ephippiata
IMG_20140117_122426910_HDR.jpg

IMG_20140117_122535384_HDR.jpg

That's lovely! 'Really nice coloration.

This will probably be called something completely different tomorrow, but for today I'm pretty sure it's a D. spiralis.

Mandon, or Manson?! :0o:
Nice plant, either way!

I'm going to try my hand at one of these contests for the first time, so go easy on me! :-O

My goal when I first started growing nepenthes was to have a happy ramispina with adult (ish) pitchers on every leaf. Seems like after a year I've reached my first milestone! This plant has grown consistently for me since the day I bought it from Tony about a year ago. Even when my ventrata was sulking, this bad boy (hopefully girl actually) was throwing out pitchers like it was nobody's business! I'm investing in a nice camera later in the week, but until then, here's some crappy iphone flicks of my BE Nepenthes ramispina:

IMG_5518_zpsbb7e2740.jpg

IMG_5536_zps4a707790.jpg

IMG_3763-Version2_zpscf83b95e.jpg

P.S. this plant seems to have sort of maxed out at this size for now. The past 7 or 8 pitchers haven't really grown in size much, and neither have the leaves. I know that it could get to be a good amount larger. Do you think it could be root bound and in need of a repotting? Anyone have any ideas? Thanks!

Last edited:
Nice colors on that plant, and that last shot is very picturesque. This is a species I've wanted for a long time, and it seem to be doing well for you. However, I do think it needs a repot. I've noticed at least on my plants after the leaves get to be about twice the width of the pot, unless they're in a very deep pot, they're due for an upgrade.

I'm going to try my hand at one of these contests for the first time, so go easy on me! :-O

My goal when I first started growing nepenthes was to have a happy ramispina with adult (ish) pitchers on every leaf. Seems like after a year I've reached my first milestone! This plant has grown consistently for me since the day I bought it from Tony about a year ago. Even when my ventrata was sulking, this bad boy (hopefully girl actually) was throwing out pitchers like it was nobody's business! I'm investing in a nice camera later in the week, but until then, here's some crappy iphone flicks of my BE Nepenthes ramispina!

Now that is a well grown plant! Nicely done, Greg :-))
And judging by the photos that pot is about 4" in diameter, in which case, that plant is ripe for moving up to the next pot size. Even a 6" pot would give you another year of growing.

Drosera venusta "coccicaulis"
IMGP6947_zps489388f3.jpg

IMGP6959_zps29a1d345.jpg

This is actually one plant that split into two growth points. This species and Drosera aliciae have a tendency to do this usually after a few years of growth when the form a stem or tall skirt of old leaves.

H. collina (formerly Foothills Testigos)

n. eymae x jacquelinae

WOW Favian!! That is an AWESOME hybrid :drool: Everyone's entries are amazing this month, but that really takes the cake for me. I'd love to see photos of the whole plant at some point! I NEED to get my hands on one of those bad boys! Is it seed grown or TC? Shweeeeet!

Nepenthes reinwardtiana
9Rq6RpE.jpg

Whew! Some heavy competition this month!

D. Roseana
The one in the center the one just to the top right of the plant in the bottom left corner

Back