What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Has anyone ever used pheonix worms to feed their nepenthes?

Last year I used to culture d. hydei for my cp's but the job was very tedious and eventually a native fruit fly contaminated my culture. However the results I had were very good and I want to continue to feed my plants and pick up where I left off but with a larger insect. Eventually I came across pheonix worms which are so cheap that ftm they are not even worth culturing.

I have ordered some pheonix worms to begin a once weekly watering/feeding regimine and once it warms up probably switch to twice weekly depending on how long it takes my plants to go through 100 worms which is what comes in a container will determine whether or not I wish to culture them.

Does anyone else use these worms to feed their plants? If so anything info/tips would be appreciated. my course of action will be to freeze them and thaw them to feed as necessary.

my initial projections indicate 8-10 weeks should be how long it will take me to go through one container feeding once a week but once may rolls around, I will change that window depending on the plant......larger plants will be moved up to twice a week while smaller plants remain on once a week.

thoughts?

While I had never heard of this species after a trip to Wikipedia I'd say they sound ideal for feeding to medium - large Nepenthes and Sarracenia. Overall it sounds like a pretty wonderful insect. Good luck!

I honestly used to use dried blood worms back in my day (all of 5 years ago...). Just mix them up in a bit of RO water so that they form a paste and spread on dews or pour it into pitchers. Worked great for me.

Make sure to freeze them shortly after they arrive. A house full of soldier flies can be disturbing for some people.

lol indeed!

Last edited:
just got em in the mail and I believe they will do nicely....as of now i only got to feed 4 of my neps so it all depends on how long they last as to whether or not i decide to culture them. Based off the specification I believe their high nutritional value will definitely benefit my plants.

thx for the input.

Back