What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

knife collectors

• Thread starter Jcal
  • Start date
  • Tags
    carry

Jcal

Decumbent Fanatic
I was wondering of there were any knife collectors around these fourms. I have been interested in knifes for awhile but never started collecting. Every knife I buy I use. Which is why my interest in collecting has been piqued. I was looking for a nice gentlemans knife to carry and saw a CASE texas toothpick. They seem to be very collectable I have a few of those on my wishlist already. I've alway wanted a case Hobo, but at the time they didnt make them. I guess they started making them again and now I see a snowball effect happening!

So, if you are a collector any advise to share that would be great. I'm not married to Case so if there is another good company let me know.

Benchmade. Im a big benchmade fan. They have great blades not sure what you want to spend but they are worth it in my opinion

Check out the benchmade osborne 940 perfect size for discrete everyday carry.

I almost started a thread a while ago, but I figured there wouldn't be too many knife enthusiasts on here. I guess I was wrong! lol. I'd always recommend Spyderco knives. I have a Spyderco Delica and a Spyderco Tenacious. Both are great knives, but the Delica is amazing as my every day carry. I started off liking benchmade a lot, and they definitely make great knifes, but Spyderco caters to my needs and asthetics a lot more. It's a great company and Sal and the people who work under him have great customer service values. I'm starting to make custom knife handles out of woods and exotic materials like mammoth bone and fossilized coral, so if you or anyone else would be interested, I can post some examples of my work once I finish a few knives.

Although they're expensive, I'd check out this guys work if you're looking for something more on the custom/expensive side of things. This is similar to the stuff that I'm trying to do, although this man is a master craftsman, and I just do this as a hobby, and don't have much experience:

http://www.cuscadi.de

Spyderco is also a great knife. I would love to see some examples of your stuff please always looking to get some custom scales on a benchmade griptillian I can't stand the the factory plastic it drives me crazy

I had a friend that collected Spyderco Knifes. They are great. I believe I had one in the past but can't seem to find it. I went on a knife spending spree a few years ago and bought a few knifes from crkt. Still have a small one on my keyring that I use ALL the time. Later learned that they aren't the best quality but I'm not buying for collectors. I found the ashworth turtle knife crkt made and I still love the look and feel of it. Peculiar piece of metal. I believe that why I find the HOBO interesting. It stands apart from the norm, and is purpose built.

Benchmade look like awesome knifes, but I don't think I'm that serious yet.

Crkt is a decent knife I have a ken onion shenanigan by Crkt I love it. Not the greatest steel but its a good comfortable knife and the price is right. But like I said for a quality knife with a good steel I like benchmade but thats also my preference. Im a sucker for the made in the USA stamp. But check out the crkt shenanigan.

I want a nice Helle :)

I know there are better knives in the same price range, but the artic birch, the layered steel blades, the history, the look,

http://www.helle.no/products/knives/

The only "collectable" knife I have is a "Buckmaster 184" from the 1980's

I'm quite clueless in this area & have probably spent more time researching methods to keep them sharp rather than what brands represent what (although those Helle's are sweet). However, someday I'd like to do a bit more study and splurge on a damascus blade - probably a small pocketknife that I can pull out & regularly admire - but may go with a decent blade for the kitchen.

Yes - I know (or suspect) that it's mostly knife-eye-candy-lust & likely laughed at by serious collectors - but it'll still feel good in my pocket ... :-O :crazy:

I had more crkt knifes that I realized. I use the bigger ones for my camping trips.
In the photo are the razel ss7, ashworth turtle, sting, and kiss.

The crkt shenanigan is very sleek and tactical. Love the look of that knife. The Helles look amazing. The birch handles really stands out. Even seen Les stroud in one of the photos on their home page. I watch his shows all the time. I need to spend more time learning how to sharpen knifes. If anyone has tips I'm all ears.

How have i not seen this thread yet?! I love knives! Ive even made a few. All the knives mentioned are great knives jcal but you said you were looking for a nice gentlemens knife, may i suggest schrade? I have had one of their old timer series folder for going on 10 years and has never let me down and they are made just a couple miles from me lol. Ive never been a huge fan of CRKT, I do have their whole minimalist series but im not a huge fan of stainless. More of a high carbon man.

@bradaddie: i agree with you on the griptilian, hate the handle. ive been contemplating trying to make a micarta handle

@tatorger I know it drives me crazy great knife but I cannot stand the feel of plastic. And any after market scales are way too expensive for me tp justify for the price ive seen I could buy 2 more griptilians. And by the way where In ny are you

I'm not really a true collector but I've looked around a bunch and like to have a everyday carry around along with a couple others. Right now I have the CRKT N.E.C.K. satin finish. I para cord wrapped the handle myself and I find it very comfortable. It needs to be sharpened, but has also taken a beating so I may look into a replacement. I've read good things about the ESEE Izula knives, any opinions there? I prefer a fixed blade to a folding knife.

I'm also a fan of Balisongs, I used to have a few cheapos that I either gave away or broke. Right now the only one I have is a Bear and Sons stag handle, damascus blade. Unfortunately, I cracked the stag handle at one point and had to glue it back on but it looks pretty good and still functions fine. My dream balisong is a Benchmade Model 42. Even more unfortunate, they discontinued it, and I think the most recent one I saw on sale, lightly used, was around $600

Ive just got a esse rat 2 or 3 seems like a great knife if you like that check out the becnhmade adamas awesome blade for around the same price as the esse and you can wrap that handle on para cord as well I love that knife the backside of the blade or spine whichever you want to call ot is serrated.

Not the rat I dont know what I was thinking of

Thanks bradaddie, the adamas looks pretty good, I may consider it although it's a little more pricey than the izula I was looking at. I also second the request for anyone that has any suggestions on sharpening knives or knife sharpening systems. The only thing I've really looked at in the past with good reviews are the Warthog knife sharpeners.

For sharpening I don't have anything crazy just a smiths diamond stone system it has a bunch of stuff it does the job im still in the search for something better that won't break the bank. Let me know if you find something worth looking at

I also second the request for anyone that has any suggestions on sharpening knives or knife sharpening systems.
Not really recommendations - just a quick reflection.

My brothers & I grew up always trying to produce a better edge than the others (tested by shaving hair off spots on arms / legs). Bottom line - it was really hit or miss for good edges. When my brother went into the Navy, there was a guy on his ship that would put a great edge on any knife for a few bucks. He used a simple Lansky system - which looks like a cheap version of Smith's Diamond System. I got a Lansky kit & used it for many years. For simple knives, it provides the consistency to get a good edge. However,

- metal clamps can mark blade (not cool on heirloom knife)
- blade size can be an issue (not enough reach & ends have different angle than middle - due to design)
- grit stones don't last all that long (get curved from use)
- time consuming

I didn't really like oil & time spent sharpening (& setup) became an issue so I wasn't doing the knives frequently. After a few hours of research, I got some diamond grit stones & a simple clamp that worked on a flat surface. I like the diamond grit (& water convenience) but duplicating the exact angles each time was a bit of an issue. In addition, time wasn't much better. More research & more talking to people.

I've taken a step back & now use the diamond stones to put a nice 20* edge on each side. Then I use this super simple Lansky rod-in-a-block approach to keep a 25* edge every few days. For the past several months, our kitchen knives have been sharper than they've been in years.

I hold the blade perpendicular to a light & if there any reflections, I grab the block out of the cabinet, take several swipes & the blade shaves hair. I always dismissed these systems because they don't use a lubricant & had no way to hold an angle. However, after talking with people - it's tough for someone to be able to hold a 20* or 25* angle by eye -- but most people can hold a blade vertically with accuracy & consistency. As for the lack of lubricant - I still use the larger diamond stones to get the original 20* angle & the rods just provide a regular tune-up.

The bottom line for me has been accepting realities of life - I want to use sharp blades (all the time) but time was keeping me away.

From a cool-looking 'toy' perspective, that Warthog system looks very interesting & the reviews seem to say it's more than a toy. I'm also interested to see / hear what others are using and any advice tidbits they'd like to share (like what are options for serrated blades?) :scratch:

a personal fav for bush, and very economical especially for the blade quality:
http://www.amazon.com/Light-Fire-FireKnife-Stainless-FireSteel/dp/B007BO9G1W
Back side of blade has a nice edge for the fire steel, makes starting a fire easy.

as far as sharpening, I lack in that area too, I just use Arkansas stones... but I think what I do is considered the Japanese style, back and forth in one spot until a burr can be felt on the top edge, move up the blade and repeat, then once the entire side has the burr, flip and repeat for the opposite side, then remove burr by going back and forth between the sides....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTKV5-ZSWcE
(Scandinavian grinds are different, you basically just lay the blade on the stone, no secondary angle)

Last edited:
Back