Likes Likes:  0
Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3910111213

Thread: Getting import permits

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nimbulan View Post
    Can anyone comment on what species require a CITES permit to import? The information I've been able to find indicates that many appendix II species do not require a CITES permit, yet I've seen people claiming that all appendix II CP's (all Sarracenia and Nepenthes not listed on appendix I) require it. What about Pinguicula ionantha which is not listed on CITES but is protected by the ESA?
    Yes, I would like to understand the laws regarding Appendix II species as well. And what about transporting these species across state lines?
    - Mark

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I forgot to add that Dionaea muscipula is on appendix II as well.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you are importing plants, you do need CITES export permit issued by the exporting country (in addition to phytosanitary certificate). But you don't need the paid CITES import permit (PPQ621) unless you are doing the import for business. I'm not completely sure about the requirement of PPQ621 with App. 1 (I'm guessing that you don't need it).

For the small lot of seeds, app 2 seeds are cites exempt, so no need to have CITES import or export permit (and no need to phytosanitary certificate). App 1 seeds are not exempt, so I'm guessing you need export permit (but no need for phytosanitary). This is my understanding from communicating with an APHIS person.
    Last edited by naoki; 07-15-2016 at 11:05 PM.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ah that is an interesting note, that PPQ621 is meant for business use. A lot of people seem to think it's necessary for all CITES importation (and I'm not even sure it's required for all appendix II species either.)

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I appreciate the info for CITES Appendix II, naoki. I do believe you are required to have special permitting for importing any Appendix I plants but I don't claim to be certain. Maybe this is just a commercial requirement? And nimbulan, I wasn't aware that flytraps were on Appendix II. This would seem to indicate that there are no restrictions for interstate transport in the US for this group of plants.
    Last edited by bluemax; 07-16-2016 at 12:18 PM.
    - Mark

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    O.k., it has finally sunk in that there is a lot more info on this thread than just that in the last few weeks. I am going to read the whole thing and see what I can understand from it all. Perhaps we can summarize what has been stated already. I doubt the laws have changed much since the thread began.
    - Mark

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think most of the information is regarding how to apply for the permits, how long it takes, and who you have to talk to if there's problems. I haven't been able to find any concrete information here or elsewhere about the necessity of a CITES import permit for various plants.

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3910111213