What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Getting import permits

Hmm it seems like too much trouble to try importing them yourself, although it might be worth it to buy plants from places that don't ship internationally. There is still the question of phytosanitary certificates though.... I asked this because I go to Asia sometimes so I was thinking of bringing some plants back with me.

I just renewed my permit online. Let's see how long it takes to get approved and new labels mailed out.

Well, guess we will see how this goes. This is what I had to do to get the order through.

I had to contact the seller and get phytosanitary certificates and make sure he knew not to ship until he received my import permits and label for the package. Next I had to go and make a UPS account because after USDA inspects the plants you will need a UPS or Fedex account # so the inspection station can forward the plants to you at your cost.

Next I had to get the seller a package together. I placed the label in plastic labeled "outside of package" and put my permits in plastic labeled "inside with plants". These are shipped to the seller(I used priority).

Now I just have to wait. Update when something significant happens.

Label, for the outside of package.

Permits, for inside of package.

Contents of package to be shipped to seller.

Well I received my new labels and permits today. So it took about 10-11 days from the time I submitted the renewal application and receiving the paperwork in the mail.

I've yet to import plants but fortunately I live close enough to an inspection center that I could pick them up.

Paperwork arrived to the seller today. Plants should ship in a few days. I'll update when they ship.

Plants shipped today. I'll update when they get to the inspection station.

Just sent a quick email to the Maryland office asking about emailing labels. I was going for a joking lighthearted tone so hopefully my computer joke doesn't make me sound like a **** lol.

Is it necessary to physically mail the labels to the overseas exporter or could I email him the labels, let him print them, and him attach the labels to the parcel being imported? I am new to this (just applied for the 587 permit on the 29th) and find mailing the labels a little cumbersome considering we have these strange devices known as computers haha. I appreciate you helping and look forward to hearing back!

Best,
Robert Cody Lawson

I am 99% sure we have to physically mail everything but a little feedback never hurts to get things changed/modernized. As often as I have imported plants from czplants I am kind of surprised he never mentioned me needing labels.

As I posted before you send copies of the permits. The labels have to be original. The one of the directions on the back of the label reads:

"Do not duplicate the label. Only original labels will be accepted."

attachment.php

So all they need to do is add a barcode, scan it at the inspection center, that reports back to APHIS database, and import label becomes invalid/used. Am I wrong? They could even bypass the barcode and just type in the label's import number and mark it as used. Just seems overly complicated to mail to permit holder, mail to exporter, and then mail back to permit holder again.

I realize I am preaching to the choir here too haha. Government agencies are never known or lauded for their efficiency. Given the rather small size of this department though I would imagine they could change things relatively easily. Even when I worked back at the DoD we had a lot more flexibility than one would initially assume.

APHIS will send you as many labels as you want, so it's really not a big deal. However, if you feel strongly against sending your labels, you can always ask the exporter to use a courier, which doesn't even require it. Be prepared to pay the extra, though, and they still need the copies of your permits.

The labels don't go the the permit holder, they go to the inspection center. The labels are removed at the center and replaced with the address to the permit holder. Each label is numbered. They are government documents. Most governments don't like you making duplicates of their documents. It's too easy to alter the permit number and expiration dates on duplicates. And not everybody likes using computers. That's why you can still apply for the permits via fax or US Mail.

If you apply for a visa you have to send your passport. A duplicate won't suffice.

APHIS will send you as many labels as you want, so it's really not a big deal. However, if you feel strongly against sending your labels, you can always ask the exporter to use a courier, which doesn't even require it. Be prepared to pay the extra, though, and they still need the copies of your permits.

It depends on the carrier and the materials. Some require the green and yellow label. More than 12 plants will require a label. From a supplemental document from APHIS:

Guidance on the Importation of PPQ-regulated articles through Express Carriers Requiring Green and Yellow Labels (PPQ Form 508)

Mailing of importations through express carriers will involve both an International Air Waybill and a Domestic Air Waybill. You will need to obtain both the International and the Domestic Air Waybills at the initial stage of shipment. The International Air Waybill brings the material into the United States and to the appropriate Plant Inspection Station. It is important to note that the International Air Waybill address for delivery must be the same as the PPQ Label. Otherwise, the shipment may be prohibited or returned to origin. The Domestic Air Waybill ensures delivery from the Plant Inspection Station to the final destination.

Place the Domestic Air Waybill inside the package to be shipped. Upon clearance of the shipment at the Plant Inspection Station, the inspector will attach the Domestic Air Waybill to the package and forward the package to the final destination listed on the Domestic Air Waybill.

Address the International Air Waybill as follows:

o From: Shipper
o To: The Plant Inspection Station Listed on the Green & Yellow Import Label
• See example of import label below

Address the Domestic Air Waybill as follows:

o From: The Plant Inspection Station Listed on the Green and Yellow Import Label
• See example of import label below
o To: Final Address as Outlined on the Permit

For Permitting and Labeling questions, please contact our Customer Support Center at (301) 851-2046. For additional information on the importation of Plants for Planting visit:
http://www.aphis.usda.gov/plant_health/permits/nursery.shtml

Last edited:
Sorry bad wording, I realize the inspection station removes the labels. I was more referring to the entire process of govt mailing to you -> you mail to exporter -> exporter mails to inspection station and they mail the package. If everything was digitized govt would authorize digital label numbers -> you email label with number -> exporter prints label with number & mails to inspection station -> inspection station scans label and invalidates the number in the database -> you get the package.

Since everything is digitized you eliminate the cost and time of mailing the labels (that's anywhere from 10-14 business days). Furthermore, since the number would have to be checked against the APHIS/e-permits database, a random photoshopped number would be rejected since it didn't match their system. And obviously, if someone wanted to do it the old way the previous system would still exist.

This is all hypothetical of course. I don't mind mailing the labels back and forth; I am just horribly impatient lol. Besides, overseas orders are always quite large so knowing your purchased plants are so far away yet still so close is just excruciating!

This was in the automated email they send after you email them:

...In addition, as part of the USDA's overall eGovernment initiative to transform and enhance the delivery of its programs, services, and information, we recommend that you utilize our electronic permitting system (e-Permits), as this is the fastest and most efficient way to obtain and renew a permit. This web-based tool will allow you to apply for a permit, check its status, and view it on-line.

It just seems strange to not modernize a major aspect of their permit system when they deliberately state (in the first paragraph none the less) that their goal is to modernize the delivery of their permit system lol.

Sounds simple doesn't it? If you have ever worked on a large scale IT project, nothing is simple. If you've ever worked on a large scale government IT project then it gets complicated beyond all belief. Just look at the Affordable Health Care Act exchange website. And just to save a couple bucks per permit - it will probably take 10 years to recuperate the cost of the project. And try to get the cost cutting crazy Congress to write a check for this.

If it ain't broke don't fix it. It doesn't take much effort and thought to stuff a couple pieces of paper in an envelope and drop it in the mail. It doesn't take much effort to slap a pre-printed label on a package and a couple pieces of paper into the parcel. Why should the shipper have to print and cut out a two-sided color label? It's difficult enough sometimes to get the shipper to understand and follow the instructions as it is. Electronic transmittal of the labels isn't going to fix that.

It's difficult enough sometimes to get the shipper to understand and follow the instructions as it is.
Yes - the ins & outs of the the gov't side of things have been nothing compared to the realities of trying to get non-English-speaking people to understand the steps (& follow them). Many, even those who speak/write perfect English, will ignore everything & ship directly to me**.

Sometimes, incredible, hard-to-believe stuff just happens. An individual in Colombia followed my instructions perfectly. The Colombian Narcotics Police then opened the envelope, confiscated/destroyed the seeds, stapled an ugly green official notice to the envelope & allowed it to continue on it's journey.

** this is even after I created the 'perfect' packet. I fabricated a padded envelope with everything inside & sticker outside. Instructions in English & Spanish. All the shipper needed to do is place packet of seeds inside, seal & add appropriate postage. And yes, I've also had people in England ignore everything & ship directly to me - so it's not limited to non-English-speaking people.

:headwall:

Small update for a lil clarity. When you contact the seller before placing your order make sure they understand the only address they should ship to is the inspection station and place your invoice with shipping label inside with the plants. My package has 2 ship to addresses and I'm not sure its supposed to be labeled like this. Hopefully it will be alright but do not have your packages labeled this way.

Second, if you order sarrs, ask the seller to trim back the pitchers. I didnt and the seller shipped with pitchers intact. This has me worried more than the label because those pitchers have to pass inspection from insects and disease.

Now I just have to wait and see what happens.

Two shipping labels are ok as long as the green and yellow label is not covered. The additional label should show the same ship to address as on the green and yellow label. If it doesn't there could be delays in routing the package to an inspection center. Normally a package will get sent to the nearest inspection center to the port of entry - this may not be the center nearest to you.

Nope. One ship to label is my address. Thats what has me concerned. I'm more worried about the pitchers really.

Anyone ever import sarrs with pitchers intact?

Last edited:
Back