What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Getting import permits

Now I just have to wait and see what happens.
Sorry - I'm confused. The shipper mailed you plants. You received plants. What is it that you think will happen next?

If everything is exactly as shown in the above pics (& I didn't miss something important in the earlier posts**), it looks like the USPS had to choose between the two addresses on the package & they chose to ship to you. If indeed, that is the case, you need to decide whether you keep uninspected plants imported into USA or you forward them to an inspection station. The plants have not been to the inspection station yet as their sticker is still displayed on the package.

** Edit: unless those pics were sent by the seller/shipper to show you what is on it's way :scratch:

Last edited:
Yes those were sent by the seller to show what's on the way.

Well it has to clear Customs first. They should know from the green and yellow label that it goes to APHIS inspection afterwards but mistakes happen.

I wander if the green/yellow label expedites the customs process. When I ordered my plants from czplants last September it sat in customs for about 6 business days. Is this a normal time frame when you are shipping completely legally? I had the phytosanitary certificate attached so they had to know they were plants at least. The only thing I can think of that allowed me to squeeze by was only having 10-12 plants in the package. Even worse three of the plants were Nepenthes (whoops).

I actually had to do this twice more since he kept messing up my order. First time he forgot three plants. I went ahead and ordered three more plants since he had to ship again, but he forgot to ship the extra ones with the second package. Then randomly 2 months later I had a package show up from czplants with the remaining 3 extra plants. To be fair though he did pay the extra shipping and was quite nice, just a little aloof from translation issues lol.

Plants in the US according to tracking # provided by seller! Now let's see if they pass inspection.

Here's to hoping the best. In reality you shouldn't have any problems. Hell just waiting for it to get here is one of the hardest parts!

Did you order anything else besides those Sarrs?

APHIS will send you as many labels as you want, so it's really not a big deal. However, if you feel strongly against sending your labels, you can always ask the exporter to use a courier, which doesn't even require it. Be prepared to pay the extra, though, and they still need the copies of your permits.

Actually, I'm not sure what I was thinking when I wrote that. Sorry, disregard!

Nope. One ship to label is my address. Thats what has me concerned. I'm more worried about the pitchers really.

Anyone ever import sarrs with pitchers intact?

I've imported many Nepenthes and Heliamphora which tend to be more sensitive than Sarracenia in terms of pitcher damage. So far, no problems. The inspection agents are typically very careful and understand the value of many of these plants. So far, they've been the friendliest government employees I've dealt with over the phone.

Thanks Mato. Thats very encouraging.

So far, they've been the friendliest government employees I've dealt with over the phone.
Ditto. When I dealt with them directly, they were very unlike any other government-agency-type people I've come across. They were knowledgeable, helpful, competent, etc, etc.

Here's to hoping the best. In reality you shouldn't have any problems. Hell just waiting for it to get here is one of the hardest parts!

Did you order anything else besides those Sarrs?
Sorry rcl...almost missed this post. Thanks and no I only ordered sarrs.

Plants arrived today in great condition...minus a plant. Unsure what happened. Nothing from USDA saying they destroyed anything. I'm hoping the seller just forgot a plant. I have a lil daycare deal going on atm but I'll post pics later:).

That didn't take long. How long did it take from sent to enter the US and how long was it in inspection? Was the plant in photo sent by the shipper?

I'm really surprised that plants can survive that whole ordeal. I'd be interested to know how long it will take them to bounce back once they're in their final conditions.

That didn't take long. How long did it take from sent to enter the US and how long was it in inspection? Was the plant in photo sent by the shipper?
Seller shipped on the 3rd and it arrived to the inspection station on the 10th. Hit my doorstep this morning:). Which pic are you referring to?

I'm really surprised that plants can survive that whole ordeal. I'd be interested to know how long it will take them to bounce back once they're in their final conditions.

I'll keep you updated.

Here's the plants 9 days after the seller shipped.

They went through the inspection station in atlanta GA. Some look a lil rough and will need a lil time for new stronger pitchers to grow but I'm happy. Now just need to figure out what happened to my missing plant.

Not bad shape considering the time frame they had without care or even watering

They look a lil worse now. Small amount of wilt but they should bounce back just fine. I'll keep this thread updated until the plants fully recover.

Back