What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sell plants on eBay

Hello everyone!!!!
I want to sell some carnivorous plants on eBay, I want to know what type of permits do I need. I live in Tennessee. Thank you!!!

I'm not about to spent the time to read all those links and try to sort out what is legal and illegal, I can tell you shipping to some states (CA, AZ, HI jump to mind) are more likely to get you into problems than others.

I have shipped and received more boxes of plants than I could count and not one of the boxes has ever been marked as that thread said they needed to be marked. None, not a one even the ones from the LARGE commercial nurseries.

Every spring and fall we take many boxes to the USPS clearly marked in large letters "Live Plants - Keep away from heat and cold", and ever year the USPS takes our money and delivers those boxes without any problems. Are we in the wrong? I don't know, but at the same time we are going out of our way to announce what we are doing.

With the mess of laws and regulations the US and states have it is perfectly possible all the plant sales on E-bay and so many hobby forums are not following the letter of the law. A little while back they tried to pass a law making it a crime if a criminal did not give you 24 hours notice of the imprending crime, it did not pass but a lot of these things do.

If you really want the best possible answer call the USDA and ask them.

I have a plant nursery license mostly just so I can legally ship plants, I pay $150 a year and get inspected for bugs, but it removes a lot of stress I would have to endure as far as packages being "caught". On the other hand, I have a friend that lives in Michigan who also runs a small in house nursery but Michigan does not require nursery licenses for people selling houseplants, so he wouldn't be able to get one if he tried. I would suggest calling your state Agriculture Dept and see what your particular state requires. As RSS says, most people don't bother and just ship plants illegally, but I would rather play it safe.

On a side note, most state laws I've read say you should have an invoice inside the box stating what the contents are, but I've never seen a requirement for a stamp on the outside other than states that require phyto like CA.

Back