What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

VFTs growing in Wisconsin?

Some years ago I read a book that claimed Dionaea had been naturalized somewhere in WI. Personally, I find this a bit hard to believe, but I was wondering if anyone had any idea if this were true or not? And, on the off chance it is, would you care to share location? Does anyone know where the author got his info? By the way, the book was titled "Cultivating Carnivorous Plants" and it was written by Allen A. Swenson back in the 70s. Thanks!

Having moved to Wisconsin about a year ago, I contacted a professor who answered a similar question for me. I haven't visited any of her recommendations yet, but I'll find the email tonight and post it here. What part of the state are you in? Madison here.

Here is one of her replies, the other few I have basically say explore the sphagnum bogs in the summer!

To explore Wisconsin, I would recommend obtaining the following DNR publication.* *The northern part of Wisconsin is richer is Sphagnum bogs and thus carnivorous plants, but you should be able to find something within a reasonable drive from wherever you live.

NAME REDACTED

UW-W Biological Sciences

http://dnr.wi.gov/files/PDF/forms/1700/1700-045.pdf

Wisconsin,*naturally

From the mossy shadows of Parfrey’s Glen to the soaring majesty of Plum Lake Hemlocks, discover the treasures of Wisconsin’s prairies, bogs, forests, and fens with this guide to 150 of our finest State Natural Areas. The perfect companion for hikers, birders, and nature lovers, this 184‐page, spiral‐bound book describes the plants, animals, and natural communities found in these special places. Color maps and detailed driving directions to each site are also included.

This book is published by the Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources, Bureau of Endangered Resources, to commemorate the 50th anniversary of the State Natural Areas Program, the first of its kind in the nation. Proceeds from the sale of “Wisconsin, naturally” will be used to protect our state’s natural heritage for future generations.

To order, please fill out the order form below and mail along with check or money order

(payable to Endangered Resources Fund—Guidebook) to:

Wisconsin DNR

Guidebook ER/6

PO Box 7921

I didn't know about that particular guidebook, thanks for the heads up. Check out this site for info on where to find all kinds of plants in WI including carnivores. http://wisplants.uwsp.edu/search.html Just type in the genus name, hit search and off you go. Unfortunately there is no listing for Dionaea :-(

Northern WI might have more bogs, but if you want to find a population of VFTs that has persisted since the 70s that far north you should look warmer. The warmest climate zone in the state is 5B, so you'll probably want to find microclimates within those areas that provide suitable habitat and more protection if you want to find a population. And if you find them what then? They really don't belong there you know.

Yes, I had the microclimate thought as well, perhaps somewhere in the vicinity of a power plant's warm water discharge or something similar but I was kind of hoping someone could at least confirm or deny the existence of these plants, if not direct me to them. As to what I would do if I knew where thy were? Well, I would get my lazy butt off the couch and go take a look! I may never get to see vfts in their natural habitat but this would be pretty interesting all the same. Plus, there are all of the fascinating questions that would arise if these plants were real...

I'd definitely have some questions as well. Like who did it, where are they, and what's the statute of limitations on the offense? Just because we love a species doesn't mean we should want to see it everywhere. There are similar legends about introduced VFTs in my CP stomping grounds, the NJ Pine Barrens. I truly hope they're just that, legends.

Back