What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Thanks everyone for the prompt replies!:-D

It seems that Drosera adelae is a strongly reccomended CP, which is a bonus for me as it's easy to obtain in the UK.
I think the sensible route given the limited space in the tank (20cmx20cmx30cm) would be to go for a maximum of three main plants on the land area, say Dosera adelae, Utricularia bisquamata and I'd love Heliamphora heterodoxa x minor.

I'd have to research them of course to look at individual heights and spreads over time...but at least I know where to source these species!

In regard to the aquatic section, I was actually going to use a standard aquarium aquatic moss, but having a aquatic CP would be awesome, would the distubance to the water caused by the pump irritate the plant? What are peoples thoughts on the creation of a 'shelf' in the water area to grow U. graminifolia...it appears to be successfull as a semi aquatic? ???

N.B Stratch U.graminifolia from the list, it seems even experienced CP growers have trouble with growing this species terrestrially :nono:

Last edited:
I've heard that U. gramnifolia grows fairly well with periodic flooding just above the media level, but I can't speak from experience.

There are a number of Utricularia species that grow well semi-aquatically, such as Utricularia uliginosa, dichotoma, biloba, fulva, resupinata, and even subulata. Since you are in the UK you should be able to obtain them easily from stores in the EU.

First off, don't mix Utricularia. Its just annoying.

U. sandersonii 'Blue' would be the choice if you want to use some medium. The blue clone is much nicer if your trying to landscape vivariums.

Utricularia sanderonii 'Blue' by randallsimpson, on Flickr

U. asplundii if you have the space would be a possibility, I'm still working on this one.

Utricularia asplundii by randallsimpson, on Flickr

Here is 90% of everything I've wrote about graminifolia in one place http://www.terraforums.com/forums/showthread.php/115965-Utricularia-graminifolia-My-Experiences

You can do Cephs but you need to be careful about placement and ensure there medium needs are met, remembering that high humidity + water on there crowns will likely kill them.

Also keep in mind the size of the flower stalks if you ever want flowers.

If I ever reset up a paludarium it will have U. graminifolia in it, its the perferct growing conditions for this weed. Don't grow UG in medium, grow it on wet aquarium quality driftwood and try to keep it out of your water!

No longer setup.

389 by randallsimpson, on Flickr

Utriculara graminifolia by randallsimpson, on Flickr

I would like some cephs, as there so inkeeping with the sort of jungle type look i've got locked away in my mind....however, i'm still a beginner as seem to keep getting warned about these temperamental plants :scratch::scratch:

Love the idea of growing some U. graminifolia on driftwood, this will certaintly be an idea I take forward when planting.

So so far I'm thinking Dosera adelae, Heliamphora heterodoxa x minor and driftwood with Ultriculara graminifolia-am I risking the tank looking too bare? also, i was looking at Java moss maybe trailing over a rock on which water runs-bad idea

ps-will get some design pics up soon-scanner issues!

Last edited:
Back