What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

This was my Plant of the Month entry for June:
attachment.php

Carnegia gigantea (Giant Saguaro).

Last edited:
Not quite a giant yet, but oh man those spines

For fdfederation

Here are my two clones of N. clipeata, Clones U & 2. The pic is rather old, and both plants are significantly larger.
attachment.php

Also, here is a better pic of N. hamata.
attachment.php

Last edited:
Beautiful clipeatas! I literally just got one 20 minutes ago, its an awesome species.

Beautiful clipeatas! I literally just got one 20 minutes ago, its an awesome species.

Thanks! It really is, and it's such an easy grower.

Last edited:
Dat hamata. Its so.. Beautiful :ohno:

I just got the camera issue fixed, and my pics should (hopefully) be much better than before! :boogie::woot:

Updates soon to come! :-D

(Can you tell that I'm excited?!)

Last edited:
Here we go again!

1415592763368.jpg

Nepenthes ventricosa x (x tiveyi x truncata)

1415592898751.jpg

Nepenthes glabrata x aristolochioides

1418259180719.jpg

Nepenthes tobaica? Yes, this is one of the seedlings from page 1. Oh, what a difference a year makes.

Last edited:
Nice you grabbed one of those N. glabrata x aristolochioides, huh. That cross will be really interesting when its completely mature. Good growing!

Nice you grabbed one of those N. glabrata x aristolochioides, huh. That cross will be really interesting when its completely mature. Good growing!

Thank you!

Yeah, the N. glabrata x aristolochioides is a great plant.It's very easy to grow, relatively fast, and what it lacks in size it makes up for in coloration. The very small size also makes it great, in my opinion, for terrariums, especially when young. While the lowers are great, I think that the uppers have a great chance at being the best of any N.aristolochioides hybrid. I've yet to try it outside of typical highland conditions, however.

Last edited:
That's a good point. I have a very small terrarium set up so I had my eye on that cross for exactly that reason. It's nice when things stay small or compact :)

Seedlings!!!

I figured I'd show some of what my own plants produced this season. Here they are, my seedlings from 2014:

IMG_20141211_161318525.jpg

IMG_20141211_161335827.jpg

Sarracenia oreophila
These are the only plants that I was smart enough to go ahead and stratify/germinate this year. The other two heads of S. oreophila and one of S. jonesii were mistakenly discarded by my family. Probably close to 1000 seeds, gone. :cry:

IMG_20141211_161516601.jpg

IMG_20141211_161603294.jpg

Product of D. muscipula 'Burbank's Best'.
Not as many seedlings as could have been produced, but out of six seeds, four isn't bad.
Receiving the mother plant bare root while forming a flower stalk probably is the reason for the very low seed yield.

Your plant labeled as N. "tobaica" has pitchers that look more like beccariana or longifolia.

The pitchers are most likely too immature to be completely accurate for an ID. The pitchers do
appear somewhat similar to those of N. longifolia, but the leaves appear to be more like those of the N. reinwardtiana/N. sanguinea complex.

Here is a picture of the whole plant. Keep in mind that all of these seedlings are from the same pod, but their pitchers look nothing like each other, so there is quite a bit of variability among these.
IMG_20141211_202122673.jpg

Last edited:
IMG_20141211_161146794.jpg

Pinguicula gigantea

IMG_20141211_161634449.jpg

What is left of my Drosera capensis "alba". It suffered a major dieback, and I was only able to save one of the growing points and the roots.

IMG_20141211_161709976.jpg

A close up of a leaf of D. capensis " alba".

IMG_20141211_162735074.jpg

A couple of no-id Drosera among a field of U. bisquamata?.

A couple of non-carnivores

IMG_20141211_163034289.jpg

Haworthia sp.

IMG_20141211_162905267.jpg
IMG_20141211_163857496.jpg

Where did you get it from? I've grown a lot of these and the pitcher morphology doesn't really change, ie they look mature at a very small size.

These were grown from seeds given to me by a relative that purchased them on eBay as a gift. The relative was unaware of the seeds' origin, and that they were breaking several federal and international laws, (I really hate those ebay merchants for this. Poaching seeds and plants is bad enough, but selling them to people who most likely possess neither phytosanitary nor CITES permits is just despicable.:censor:) and if I had known about it, those seeds would never have been purchased. They came labelled as N. tobaica, but I'm aware that they were most likely not labelled correctly.

Last edited:
I like your setup Bio, very nice!

Back