What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Experiences with 'Rare Exotic Seeds'

bluemax

Lotsa blue
Supporter
I just received some seed from Rare Exotic Seeds in Canada and I have been hoping that it is both viable and the species on the label of the packets. Does anyone have any experiences, good or bad, with this company?

I purchased a few packets of Utricularia seeds but they never germinated. Granted, I gave my family members instructions to germinate them so I'm not sure whether they followed my instructions or not. I only got some sedge grass that germinated.

Back in the day when I was looking at seed sources (6-7 years ago) the search engines brought up nothing but complaints about the viability of carnivorous plant seeds from this vendor. Other TF members told me to not waste my time or money buying seeds from them because of viability and species issues. If the seeds won't germinate it doesn't matter if they are the right species or not. Perhaps their sources have improved but if they don't store the seeds properly what difference does that make.

And while they will add a phytosanitary certificate if required there is no mention in the checkout process that one might be needed. You have to read their Purchase and Shipping and FAQ page:

Phytosanitary Certificate

Depending on the species ordered and the regulations in force in the country of destination, it is possible that a phytosanitary certificate and/or import permit is required (see FAQ). So, please learn about the laws in force in your country before requesting a certificate. Please note that we do not usually provide any phytosanitary certificate. We can exceptionally deliver a certificate depending on the value of your order. This process requires an inspection from the Canadian Food Inspection Agency and will prolong the time of delivery.

Do I need a phytosanitary certificate and/or an import permit?

The authorities in your country can provide the necessary information on phytosanitary certificates and important permits. Many countries, such as in Europe, require virtually no authorization to receive our products. In general, the islands, such as Taiwan, Tahiti, New Caledonia, Mauritius have the most stringent regulations.
Rarexoticseeds cannot be held responsible for blocking duty due to failure to license, though we can assure you that at least 98% of orders are delivered without problem.

Seeds imported from Canada require a phytosanitary certificate unless the shipment qualifies as small seed lots AND they are accompanied with the Small Seed Lots permit (PPQ 587). See US Code of Federal Regulations PART 351—IMPORTATION OF PLANTS OR PLANT PRODUCTS BY MAIL and PART 305—PHYTOSANITARY TREATMENTS

Last edited:
I was told a fellow from there (Canada) had a problem with them, drum roll please...0% germination. I talked with someone there via email, they said they would be getting in a bunch of new seed in about ten days. That was about a month ago. That is just one person's experience with one batch of seed. But add that to everyone else's experience. Add to that they seem very shy about revealing their location (downtown Montreal) and a street address, which you would need to import seed from them to the US with your ppq 587 with ssl exemption. I would say perhaps not the best choice.

Thanks for the information everyone. When it comes to commercially obtaining seed for petiolaris sundews I am starting to believe the best choice simply doesn't exist. If I get germination I will post it.

My past experiences with European suppliers have been less than encouraging. Even when seed for most sundews has been o.k. petiolaris seed has mostly been a total failure for germination.

7/10 germinated of D. ordensis. 1/10 germinated of Drosera montana

No germination from any others. Currently at 11 months post sowing.

7/10 germinated of D. ordensis. 1/10 germinated of Drosera montana

No germination from any others. Currently at 11 months post sowing.

Thank you. I've seen much worse germination rates - in fact 7 of 10 is good. If you don't mind me asking, are you satisfied that the species names are correct?

Rarexoticseeds are located downtown montreal, near my home. The complete address is on their website, in the 'about us' section. I dont know how they store their seeds, but its ridiculous. I buyed over 100 seeds of differents species, and i had 0 germination, compared to almost 100% germination rate when i got seeds from another source. And i can refer you many others ppl from many forums and personnal friends to mine who has almost no germination at all.

You guys should avoid that place.

Last edited:
@Maiden - I appreciate the input.

BlueMax, keep us posted with your results!
I wish you a good germination rate.

Any germination yet?

Thank you. I've seen much worse germination rates - in fact 7 of 10 is good. If you don't mind me asking, are you satisfied that the species names are correct?

Sorry, a little tardy in my response. I am not a petiolaris grower and my goal is fairly simple:to see some cute sprouts. Within the seed batch, there has been great variability with regards to the hairness, color, and shapes of the leaves. Also, their growth characteristics in vitro vary widely. Some seedlings will immediately enter the callus stage while others remain as plantlets. I did post pictures of 3 of the seedlings here: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/s...alotus-Drosera-Heliamphora-etc-in-vitro/page7

I have some D. derbyensis plantlets as well now - at least 3 separate clones - but I can not distinguish if the abundance of callus clumps are all one clone or a mixture. The two derbyensis plantlets are also easily distinguished from each other. These seeds were from overseas, and not Rare Exotic Seeds.

Any germination yet?

Of 10 seeds planted, 5 of Drosera derbyensis and 5 of D. broomensis I have one sprout in the derbyensis pot after 3 1/2 weeks, so there is still hope for the others. The sprout is definitely a Drosera

I have some D. derbyensis plantlets as well now - at least 3 separate clones - but I can not distinguish if the abundance of callus clumps are all one clone or a mixture. The two derbyensis plantlets are also easily distinguished from each other. These seeds were from overseas, and not Rare Exotic Seeds.

Thanks. A little off the subject but did you sprout the seeds in vitro or in potting media? I am looking for improved methods of germinating petiolaris sundew seed.

Thanks. A little off the subject but did you sprout the seeds in vitro or in potting media? I am looking for improved methods of germinating petiolaris sundew seed.

I have only germinated petiolaris in vitro. Here is a vial of D. lanata that I sowed on 10-6-2014. 1 seed germinated after 7 months.
14022964468_137da023ae_n.jpg

I have only germinated petiolaris in vitro. Here is a vial of D. lanata that I sowed on 10-6-2014. 1 seed germinated after 7 months.

Congratulations on the one sprout and condolences on the ones that didn't. I am in the same boat but I'm still pretty jazzed about the new seedling. It is great that you are in a position to multiply the numbers once you get germination!

Tonight I took the last of my seed and it will soak in Gibberellic acid solution, GA3, overnight and I'll hope that gets me a few more than before. I know a grower who is talking about heat striation and that sounds like a possibility as well. Of course, if the seed is just old or poor quality there is no help for it. Makes me wish I had access to a dissecting microscope so I could cut a few of them open and see if there is anything alive in them.

A long time later - the bottom line seems to be that the germination rate for me of the seeds I got from Rare Exotic Seeds seems to be about par for the group, meaning petiolaris sundews. This is somewhat south of 10%, but I have sprouted seed from numerous suppliers and this is average. And the species have been true to their label. D. broomensis and D. derbyensis are what I got from the sprouts. I would be curious of what germination rates are for their other sundews. I was a bit miffed that they didn't wait to receive the needed 'small lots seed permit' shipping label to send the seeds to me but they were quick and their prices seem good. It's been awhile and now that the labels can be sent as an attachment and printed for shipping maybe things would work out better. Their catalog continues to get larger and they again have petiolaris seed in stock at this writing.

I have to say I'm surprised at your success. That site never struck me as a quality seed vendor. They do carry several species I'm interested in though.

Are small seed lots permits required when shipped from Canada?

I don't doubt the others who had trouble with this vendor in the past. Perhaps things have just improved, or maybe I got lucky. Two instances isn't very compelling, statistically.

Maybe Not a Number will answer about needing a permit from Canada. I seem to recall that there are special circumstances with that country and the US now but I'm not sure. If so getting one isn't a large amount of trouble or expensive. If you're interested you can look here: https://www.aphis.usda.gov/wps/portal/aphis/ourfocus/planthealth/sa_international/sa_travel?1dmy&urile=wcm%3Apath%3A%2Faphis_content_library%2Fsa_our_focus%2Fsa_plant_health%2Fsa_import%2Fsa_permits%2Fsa_plant_plant_products%2Fsa_plants_for_planting%2Fct_smalllots_seed

I found a document indicating that the seller filling out PPQ form 925 or CFIA form 5289 would be sufficient. Looking at the Canadian Food Inspection Agency's website indicates that this is the case as long as the seed is not classified as agricultural or vegetable seed for CFIA 5289, or PPQ 925 for agricultural or vegetable seed. I'm not sure why this information isn't more visible.

Last edited:
Thanks for looking that up nimbulan. Getting information about importing small quantities of seeds does seem to take some doing. The USDA has gradually dealt with our issues but we're not really mainstream for them. At least this means that when you import seed it usually clears inspection pretty quickly. I found this to be especially interesting:

"Additional information for flower and other herbaceous plant seeds (as
distinguished from seeds of trees and shrubs)

Except as indicated in the small lots of seed provision above, and in the special requirements section below, seeds in this category are enterable without a written permit. However, all seeds in this category are subject to inspection and, if findings warrant, to such treatment needed to prevent the risks of pest introduction."

Back