What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

CP's in Big Cypress Swamp and Faver-Dykes State Park 2014

I just got back from Florida and even though time was limited, I still had the opportunity to visit a couple of CP habitats.

Big Cypress Swamp:

Pinguicula lutea:

Pinguicula caerulea:

Utricularia cornuta (possibly U.juncea ?):

Utricularia foliosa in Lake Dora, Central Florida:

Faver-Dykes State Park:

Utricularia subulata:

Drosera capillaris:

Sarracenia minor:

Last edited:
Nicely done! Even standing in the rain to photograph the S. minor. 'Sounds like a sweet trip.

Nicely done! Even standing in the rain to photograph the S. minor. 'Sounds like a sweet trip.

The ticks were a far greater hazard than the rain. Well worth some soggy tick pickin' though. This was my first time seeing S.minor in the wild so not much was going to stop me from going out there.

Looks like a great time to visit. Reminds me that we need to organize a field trip at our cp meetings.

Great pictures. I wonder why the Pinguicula were so sparse? It looks like there was a lot of space for them to grow. Maybe they were just coming out of dormancy.

Great pictures. I wonder why the Pinguicula were so sparse? It looks like there was a lot of space for them to grow. Maybe they were just coming out of dormancy.

Not only were they sparse, they were extremely tiny. The biggest one was only about the size of a nickel with a flower about 1/4 of an inch across.

Nice shots! Though, from the color and shape of the flowers and plants, the Pinguicula you labeled as caerulea are actually pumila.

Nice shots! Though, from the color and shape of the flowers and plants, the Pinguicula you labeled as caerulea are actually pumila.

Definitely possible. I don't know the native Pinguicula very well since I don't grow them myself.

That looks like a great trip. Those minors are incredible!

The trip was awesome ! It was great to finally see S.minor in the wild. There's apparently Pinguicula and at least 2 other Drosera species growing in Faver-Dykes but, I didn't have time to stomp around and look for them. Those photos were taken just minutes before I hit the road home on the last day. I got to the site just before sunrise and had to wait for the sun to come up to get the few pics that I did. I should have more time to look around a bit more next year.

Back