What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

looking for dead sphagnum

I keep reading stories about "bad sphagnum" with high tds
so, what brand do you use? preferably from homedepot, lowes, walmart or another store like that

Those stores usually don't have high-quality sphagnum. The best sphagnum is New Zealand long-fibered sphagnum, followed by Chilean sphagnum. The Wisconsin sphagnum you'll find in most stores is not a substitute for high-quality long-fiber sphagnum. I would recommend looking for New Zealand sphagnum online.

For about $5 you can buy 'Orchid Moss' at Lowes. It's actually dried LFS and it's decent quality... much better than the dollar cheaper Mosser Lee brand, with twigs and other assorted filler.

Where in CA are you? Cal West Orchid Supplies in Riverside carries the good stuff.

Where in CA are you? Cal West Orchid Supplies in Riverside carries the good stuff.
Chico in Nor-cal, a little bit far from riverside unfortunately

For about $5 you can buy 'Orchid Moss' at Lowes. It's actually dried LFS and it's decent quality... much better than the dollar cheaper Mosser Lee brand, with twigs and other assorted filler.

I just now went and got this stuff I think,
this one says "Better-gro Orchid moss" but on the back it says 100% blonde Chilean sphagnum moss

if this is the same stuff, does it need to be rinsed heavily before using ? I'm not worried about algae growth just tds.

Some batches of "Better-gro Orchid moss" have a very stagnant offending smell to me when rehydrated. I rehydrate in a gallon ziplock bag and place it in the bottom of one of my incubators for reserve. If I do not change the water a few times after the LFS has fully hydrated, I will be checking all over my lab to see where the dead dying carcass is hiding. :0o:

The quality of the Better-Gro Orchid Moss sphagnum has gone way down in the last few years. It's full of twigs, leaves and a long wiry hairlike fiber. Lots of scrawny looking strands of moss too. The quality is about the same as what the domestic Mosser-Lee was 8-10 years ago.

IMGP6860_zps304522ed.jpg

The twigs or reeds on the right all came from the small hand full of Better-Gro on the left. Four years ago you'd see less than a third if any of that amount.

mine looks amazing actually
0 twigs and it just looks good all around
it says "premium quality" or premium grade on it, not sure if they sell a lower grade or something

Last edited:
IMGP6858_zps948eee2a.jpg

There are also clumps where the moss is black - these get tossed out.

Doesn't that mean they aren't harvesting it sustainably if the quality has gone down over time?

Back