What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Let's talk about worms

I am no scientist, but I could see how organisms like worms or bacterium or fungi could "fix" nitrogen from an otherwise deficient media via digestion and other enzymatic actions, however having said that I am also aware that peats properties of pH and presence or lack there of oxygen can preserve and prevent breakdown from organisms resulting in preserved organisms like mummies. I bet you're right fred about killing an infestation of worms contaminating the medium more than the live worms ever did. Rotting worms are the worst! I think in spite of Fred's 25 yr old media, I will take Bob's advice and repot more often. Probably every two years for anything with worms (hopefully only the Utric).

This has been an interesting and controversial discussion for sure and I hope if anyone has any opinion, based in fact or otherwise, on the subject that they don't hold back and share their thoughts in this thread. Thanks to everybody who has weighed in on the worms. I have found this discussion very helpful and certainly food for thought.

I am no scientist, but I could see how organisms like worms or bacterium or fungi could "fix" nitrogen from an otherwise deficient media via digestion and other enzymatic actions, however having said that I am also aware that peats properties of pH and presence or lack there of oxygen can preserve and prevent breakdown from organisms resulting in preserved organisms like mummies. I bet you're right fred about killing an infestation of worms contaminating the medium more than the live worms ever did. Rotting worms are the worst! I think in spite of Fred's 25 yr old media, I will take Bob's advice and repot more often. Probably every two years for anything with worms (hopefully only the Utric).

This has been an interesting and controversial discussion for sure and I hope if anyone has any opinion, based in fact or otherwise, on the subject that they don't hold back and share their thoughts in this thread. Thanks to everybody who has weighed in on the worms. I have found this discussion very helpful and certainly food for thought.

I must admit I was rather surprised by how controversial this topic is. I guess it is up to the individual to look at the ideas presented in this thread and decide what to do with worms.

Back