What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Have an ant problem? Try dry ice in your terrarium

interesting, I wonder if this would be useful to eradicate mites or thrips? Im sure the plants would love all that co2 as well. Where does one acquire dry ice?

I remember a thread like this long ago.
Someone was having problems with centipedes and did this.

They said it boosts plant growth of all sorts and also other peeps like mushrooms.

I got the dry ice at a local ice cream shop in Chicago, they use it to keep ice cream cool on deliveries.

I remember a thread like this long ago.
Someone was having problems with centipedes and did this.
I believe the one with the centipedes was on a frog forum. I posted my experiences in this thread.

interesting, I wonder if this would be useful to eradicate mites or thrips?
People on the frog forums say mites don't get killed - I don't know about thrips. (I only used it for aphids)

Where does one acquire dry ice?
I found dry ice available in several places but the best was an ice cream shop.

I believe the one with the centipedes was on a frog forum. I posted my experiences in this thread.

People on the frog forums say mites don't get killed - I don't know about thrips. (I only used it for aphids)

Great, thanks for the help Ron.

I suppose that could work if the whole ant colony is living IN the terrarium!
but how often is that the case? probably never..
Instead, you have visiting ants, but they are coming from the main colony that is located elsewhere..
So the dry ice would kill the ants who happen to be there during the 20 minutes while the dry ice is working,
but once it wears off, wont new ants just come right back?

Scot

Mixed results. IME, some fauna are not affected. For example, it doesn't faze snails at all.

There are grocery stores that carry dry ice. Ice cream shops usually have it as well.

I agree that it will only take care of the ants in the terrarium, not the ants in the colony. I put a Terro trap under my terrarium to send the ants that way.

What do you think about putting a Terro trap inside a terrarium underneath the plants or among the plants? Bad idea?

Memory doesn't fail yet :D

Last edited:
Make sure and do your reading first, dry ice can be dangerous. There are already a lot of older threads on the subject so I won't repeat myself.

Basics...its REALLY cold...losing fingers cold...C02 is heavier than normal air...100% sealed container + dry ice = bomb...

I am totally sold on the Terro liquid drops..best thing for ants I have ever found.
they are quickly drawn to it and large numbers of ants suck up the liquid and take it back to the colony..
sometimes so many ants that I have to replenish the "puddle" once an hour or so! they drink it dry.
we have had ants in our kitchen..One day of using the terro liquid, and ants are never seen again.

Scot

Seems like overkill to me, but I've never had any severe ant infestations before.

They might have been carpenter ants..cant risk that.
so we had to get rid of them.
if they had just been out in the yard, then no problem, I would leave them alone..
but large ants living in, and possibly chewing on the timbers of your house..we cant co-exist with that.

Scit

Back