What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Photo Thread of My Collective

Red Sumatra x OP seedling

same batch, another clone; quite a keeper!

the minor var. minors from Berkeley Co., SC are starting to mature and take on character. Some of the features I'm noticing are strongly veined hoods which approach a deep brown or even red color, heavy fenestrations, and some really wicked red-lipped ones

note the heavy windowing... will be making some x excellens with this guy and a choice leucophylla

the windowing stretches quite a good way vertically as well as across the back of the pitchers, too

flava var. maxima, Berkeley Co., SC, choice seedling that repeatedly makes beautiful, arched hoods. I want this feature in offspring.

another clone capable of the same arched hoods

another clone

Last edited:
Time to share more of my insane love of Sarracenia:

naturally occurring S. x moorei from Santa Rosa Co., FL (thanks Jay!) Sports a huge reddish-copper lid, and is one of my largest Sarrs.

'Leah Wilkerson' -- I have finally developed a strategy for reversing and eliminating Sarracenia crown rot. This plant was half-rotten at the beginning of spring, and is now surviving.

Trying to get some size back on the pitchers. The rhizome was only a few cm long after surgery.

'Judith Hindle,' 1 year old, directly from the tissue culture lab at ABG

oreo x flava rugelii

courtii x minor, a really cute, pinkish plant with great venation and fenestrations. As it grows, I'll think about registering it (open to names!) or possible using it to breed something better. Would really like to get leucophylla in there.

leucophylla, Baldwin Co., AL

leucophylla, Sumter Co., GA, not only one of the last two populations for this in my state, but also from a population that is currently down to ~6 individuals

Very open mouths and lids. I think they're some of the most beautiful of the leucos. My favorite feature is that the red-white mottling carries to the lips, which often doesn't happen to material from other locations. They've got more of a solid red or white thing going on.

flava rubicorpora, Liberty Co., FL

emerging 'Adrian Slack' pitcher

back shot... what a freakin' beautiful plant

'Hummer's Hammerhead'

'Dixie Lace'

think this is 'Bug Scoop'

purp venosa burkii, Baldwin Co., AL. This was AN EXTRA in my order from a private grower. What huge, ornately veined pitchers this gorgeous BEAST of a plant has!!!

S. "Barry," a primary hybrid of oreophila "Sand Mt." with a flava atropurpurea. Made by John Brittnacher, and used in the first Sarracenia Osmocote experiments in CPN.

gorgeous. Not many pitchers, but they're worth the wait.

alata 'Night' x flava rubricorpora, not quite colored

D. tracyii, looking an awful lot like something from a Tim Burton movie

shown in situ in my "sunken pit of doom." As you can see, I use Azolla to cool the pool surface. There are about 5000 tadpoles beneath it too, which I'm conscious of. They've now hatched and every other pitcher has a tiny treefrog sitting atop it in the evening. I love the frogs just as much as the plants!

Rudbeckia auriculata, down to 2 populations in Georgia. Very threatened.

flavas (var. maxima and var. flava) from Franis Marion NF, Berkeley Co., SC. There are some spectacular clones from this bunch.

Red Sumatra x OP

Red Sumatra x OP, definitely a keeper. Doesn't look like much now, but that shiny red lip is pretty eye-catching and will be useful in the future. I'm thinking perhaps some rubra got in here.

Same batch, third clone

another keeper from Red Sumatra x OP. The top of the pitcher and lid turn a chocolate color, like on S. minor. Plus fenestrations, plus great opening color. Can't wait to breed with it.

oreophila x minor.... love love love!! x harperi is among my favorite crosses, and I had no idea oreo x minor could also yield spectacular stuff!

purp venosa, Belle Fontaine, Mobile Co., AL

purp venosa--I'm really attracted to the shape and coloration of this little guy--a Dean Cook plant

flava var. rugelii, Tattnall Co., GA, a pretty rare location where we also get the southernmost purp venosas

Nice, Kevin! I need to get into the Sarracenia breeding game. :)

S. flava var. ornata "Improved Black Veins." Gorgeous thing! The Bulloch Co. material was extirpated by an apartment complex, and friends of mine rescued as much as they could. Mike Wang's collection is one of a handful of places in the country to still have plants from Statesboro bog.

I am tentatively calling this plant S. "Vacuum Cleaner." To me it looks like x umlauftiana with heavy veins instead of fenestrations, and to me it's lovely. The cross is by Dean Cook, and it's courtii x alabamensis.

'Mardi Gras'

'Dixie Lace'

'Bug Scoop' I thought it'd be a little more colorful, but hey.

a giant x excellens bred by Phil Faulisi

My all-time favorite plant. 'Adrian Slack'

The colors are just friggin' surreal

From breeding with it, it appears 'AS' has a gene to color the bottom lid surface red, similar to alata var. rubrioperculata. Suspicious! The top surface is left to be variably colored, veined or fenestrated.

Frog in the bog. I think Upland Chorus, but'll need some help from the audience. Any frog folks out there wanna ID him?

Late season flavas, seed-grown from permitted collections from Francis Marion NF, SC

Fall pitchers starting on leucos from a permitted collection from Splinter Hill Bog

They're already full of moths. Completely.

S. alabamensis

psittacina, from a permitted collection from Abita Springs Flatwoods Preserve, St. Tammany Parish, LA

S. flava var. atropurpurea. Lid's almost black, but doesn't photograph that way.

purp purp

psitt from FL, can't remember where, either Liberty or Okaloosa Co

'Carolina Yellow Jacket,' love it or hate it, is the fastest growing thing I have in my collection

purp venosa, collected by ABG near Belle Fontaine, Mobile Co., AL

venosa from Dean Cook

purp burkii luteola, from ABG, who has maintained the original plants discovered by Bob Hanrahan. The 3 I have are descendents.

S. rubra "Ancestral Form." SG from a population on a friend's private property, Big Whitewater Creek, Taylor Co., GA. There was apparently a small population of S. oreophila that occurred nearby in Taylor Co., so rubra and oreophila were co-occurring here. When it eventually gets a formal description, this taxon will probably be named for the discoverer of S. oreophila, Dr. Neisler. He discovered oreophila in the population at Taylor Co. (which is long since extirpated). I think the ancestral rubra is beautiful. It's got a distinctive silvery white blush to the outer surface of the tubes.

Baldwin Co. leucos from Mike Wang

Half the nursery..... I already have my endangered plant permit and I'm hoping to apply for my nursery license sometime in the coming year. Too many plants!!!

Last edited:
I think your mystery frog is a species of leopard frog, but I'm not too great with amphibians just yet...

Wow thats great i really hope u get yr nursery license im sure you will you have such great stuff to sgare with other collecters i think youd enjoy meeting other cp growers and helping them expand to half as many beatiful plants as u have :). Let us kno how that goes :) good luck

Oops. Great looking plants. Love those colors

Last edited:
Not a whole lot going on at home since the season is so early, but a few things appeared eye-catching enough the other day to merit an update here.

D. filiformis "Florida Red," collected from Washington Co., FL by ABG

D. filiformis "Florida Red," ICPS origin

"Florida Red" potted up for some sales this spring

D. tracyi mother plants for propagation

D. hookeri

Drosophyllum, growing in a custom mix called the "overcomplicated mix", containing bark, LFS, treefern, perlite, sand, permatill, and nutrients.

First off, we've got a stellar clone of S. flava var. cuprea (Old Dock, Columbus Co., NC), from the same batch I have for sale in my catalog. This one's up earlier, larger, and is certainly a winner in my book.

S. flava rugelii, Santa Rosa Co., FL

S. x umlauftiana (Thanks Paul!)

One of my best clones from the oreophila "Sand Mt. Clone 4" x leucophylla (Splinter Hill Bog Preserve, Baldwin Co., AL) cross I made. Many of the seedlings are showing intense whites and red veins. This clone is the first open, largest, and most intensely patterned of them all.

'Blood Moon' (again, thank you Paul!)

Part of my mitchelliana batch, purp ssp purp x leucophylla (Splinter Hill Bog Preserve mother plant, Baldwin Co., AL)

A monstrously beautiful plant by the Sarracenia master, Phil Faulisi. I present to y'all.... "Purple Sparks"!!!
Tall, shapely, opens cherry-wine colored and darkens to a deep wine-purple.

Phil is the master of moorei. Such intense color, it almost looks like this plant is bleeding when it starts dripping nectar.

And perhaps the reason for its namesake (yours truly suggested the winning name! So proud!), the lid. Streaks of cracking purple lightning speed across in a neural network of awesome venation.

This monster really pops against a dark background!

The nursery is blowing up with blooms. I'm hoping to produce between 100-150 crosses' worth of plants this year. Already a third of the way there.

Last edited:
This is the best sarracenia collection that I've ever seen on the forum or anywhere for that matter. How many sarracenia do you have?

Honestly have lost count--at least 250 taxa, and within a taxon (i.e. the progeny of one cross) I might have several hundred actual individuals. And at the end of the day, my answer to the above question will always be "not enough."

So without further ado, I present the next installment of "what Kevin the Plant Man does in his free time."

Let's start with my favorite cuprea clone of all time:

veined green lid x flava Black-veined Green Swamp, NC

flava var. maxima, Berkeley Co., SC, from wild-collected seed with research permit

flava var. cuprea, Old Dock, Columbus Co., NC. A neat feature of these guys is the little squiggly "pigtail" tips of the pitchers. Only a couple have them and will be reserved for future breeding.

Some of the batch is spectacularly colored and shaped, but otherwise normal.

S. alata, Abita Creek Flatwoods Preserve, St. Tammany Parish, LA

flava var. atropurpurea

'Adrian Slack'--great thanks to the sender!

the phenomenal lid of 'Reptilian Rose'

From a medium-sized division, this plant became this specimen over the course of one year. It is powerfully vigorous... a truly monstrous grower.

Sarracenia 'Purple Sparks', another of what will become the pantheon of Phil Faulisi's great plants.
http://i328.photobucket.com/albums/...al/IMG_20160505_083620547_HDR_zpsbxpx0c4u.jpg
Afternoon shot of the nursery

More of the operation

A Paul Barden hybrid. (leuco x oreo) x 'Leah Wilkerson'

another Paul Barden hybrid, the spitting image of 'Legacy'. It's also a (leuco x oreo) x 'Leah Wilkerson'

a cute oreo x minor hybrid, my cross. Very pale yellow color overall that really highlights the red venation on the hood and blood-red mouth

oreophila "Sand Mountain Clone 4" x leucophylla mother plant, from permitted wild-collected seed, Splinter Hill Bog Preserve, Baldwin Co., AL. I am making some spec-tacular selections from this cross. These are just some of the sale plants, which already look great.

Good grief! How do you keep track of them?

Back