What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Earthquakes

So, we just had the most odd occurrence here in northern CO: a magnitude 3.7 quake hit just about 3 miles northeast of Greeley. Nothing major, the shelves rattled a bit and it sounded like a really heavy wind passed by. But I'm curious now: anyone else have regular experiences with quakes?

~hcarlton

There was a 5.1 magnitude earthquake two months ago in La Habra, which is just next to the suburb I live in. It was the strongest earthquake I have ever felt.

definitely felt the La Habra one Tanukimo. The most embarrasing experience for me was about 3 years ago while at the dentist when an Earthquake hit about 4.5 magnitude and I was in the middle of getting my teeth fillings and lying on the chair with my mouth wide open lol.

Now I hope this one you mention in Colorado doesnt trigger another here in California since that's part of earthquake behaviour. An earthquake can trigger another days or even weeks apart, I also tend to correlate earthquakes with hot weather since they often occur when the ground is hot. Scientists say California is overdue for a big one which I cross my fingers never happens. Though common here, they still scare me, especially when they occur at night, you never know if you'll wake up again or what to expect. :0o:

Last edited:
CO almost never has noticeable quakes, and I'm thinking the excess rain we've been having may play a part..... though I think multiple mountain ranges and nearly a thousand miles may be a bit of a distance and obstacles for such a small quake to trigger anything on the coast.
Scientists have also been saying Yellowstone is a few thousand years overdue for an eruption, but nothing has actually come of that yet either.... recent media hype notwithstanding....

Whenever we talk about earthquakes I find that this USGS page on the myths and facts about earthquakes is useful to post. Notably: Earthquakes don't really "relieve pressure and prevent a big one" nor do they "trigger big ones," at least not in any consistent way. So even if CO quakes, doesn't mean CA needs to worry and more or less than usual. Aftershocks are, of course, a notable exception -- has much to do with distance.

I grew up in California where things are pretty seismically active. I think the biggest one I've been through was a 6.9 about 10 miles away from my house. A lot of the time the ones that feel the worst are the close ones; I've been seriously startled by some 3s and 4s happening basically right under me while I've blissfully slept through much larger ones a bit farther away. In any case, if you're not used to them they can be pretty alarming!

I feel like I've come to peace with earthquakes, but having just moved to the midwest I'm still really alarmed by tornadoes. haha

The USGS has a lot of great resourced including maps that pinpoint the location and predicted magnitude of a quake very soon after it occurs.

Last edited:
I live about twenty miles from the New Madrid fault line in Missouri... you know, the one that made the Mississippi run backwards and rang church bells along the eastern seaboard back in the early 1800s. We, too, are "over due" for a big one, but we feel little tremors every year. The authorities say that when we do have our big one the cities of St. Louis and Memphis are going to be really bad off, not to mention t hi ose of us in our little towns. No infrastructure? No Internet? NO TERRAFORUMS!?!??

Keep safe everyone!

(as for no internet . . . it's good for everyone to disconnect now and then)
:D

Back